Greetings all

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wheelhouse_Martin

Reaction score
Good afternoon all,
I'm Martin and will in about 3 weeks be in a position to start putting together the component parts of what I am calling my Wheelhouse Brewery & Bar. It is a nano-brewery for me and the wife to enjoy in the summerhouse we will be getting in about a month which I am going to get fitted with a bar and two hand pumps.

It is my hope that before the end of June I will have my first brew on the go and a 'real ale' pub in which to enjoy it. Should make me popular with the neighbours!

Now, I have some brewing experience from several wines I did over the past 3/4 years but never tried making beer. I could do with some pointers before I start off down the wrong path and I'm hoping some seasoned brewers on here might give me the right steer.

It is my intention to buy a a 40L water heater to boil the grains (kept inside a muslin bag), decant the wort into a plastic fermentation vessel fitted with an airlock and aquarium heater to maintain 18 degrees C. Then once fermentation is complete, rack to a secondary plastic vessel for the three week wait whilst everything settles down.

My main question is around storage and length of time the beer will keep for. I have read that when you open a cask the air reinvigorates the beer and starts the process of aging until it goes off after about a week. If I am open air siphoning from the fermentation vessel into the secondary for the settle down, won't that start the process of decline for my brew? I was thinking to decant the beer into smaller 10-20 pint casks which can be opened and plumbed into the pump and beer engine for a sunny Saturday afternoon such as we're enjoying this weekend! But if the beer has already 'touched' fresh air my beer won't keep for very long even if sealed once decanted. I am a bit confused here.

I await your reasoned council....

Wheelhouse_Martin

What I'm trying to understand is how can I achieve a cask conditioned ale that will keep in the garage for a few months without operating a closed system (i.e. the brew never touches fresh air until the cask is tapped ready for drinking)?

I suppose for a 1 gallon batch this isn't an issue but we will struggle to drink our way through 5 gallons of even the best offerings in just a week!

Hi and welcome. From what you have said I'm assuming you are looking to brew in a bag, BIAB. If so I suggest you read this
a good guide. What sort of cask are you thinking of using, I think you will be limited if you are going for 10 pint ones. There are sealed containers that will give you a longer shelve life.

Latest posts

Back