Grainfather G40

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cheers for that. I like the hands-on approach too tbh. It does look as though you can between the two apps easily enough.

Read a few posts on Reddit about people having pump issues. User error, or have you found the pump fiddly? One of the reasons I went down the Digiboil route before was to keep my brew day as streamlined and stress free as possible. Pumps are handy, but another thing to go wrong, right?
The only pump issue I’ve had is user error - turning the pump off with the recirc pipe submerged and twice it’s sucked **** back in and blocked the pump…. Blowing down the recirc clears it easily enough though!! Honestly, I had 2.5k to spend on an aio system, and I haven’t (overall) regretted the G40 purchase over the 40 odd beers it’s done now. I’ve recently made a couple of mods to the recirc for mashing but otherwise it’s as supplied.

It doesnt make the final beer any better but what I can do is make a double batch (to fill 2x corny kegs) and ferment the same beer under different conditions ie. different yeasts or gravity ferment one and pressure ferment the other.
It is considerably more money though so only you can decide if its worth it to you.
Can you lift the grainbasket up to sparge with just one person?

When trying to do 2 brews in a day I have forgotten to put the bottom filter back in and experienced a blocked pump. Though I have forgotten and got away with it as well.
My solution is to connect my gas via a hose on the tap I added and hit it with a shot of CO2.
I’m sure that GF won’t recommend it, but it’s happened a couple of times when I came to the cooling phase.
It works for me.

Thanks again for all of your advice folks. But the bullet and bought the G40 paired with the Grainfather mill. Now to wait! 🍻
Brewed on mine today again, double batch of proper job clone. Went very well with no problems and hit all targets.

I'll maybe hit you up when I'm setting up my equipment profile if that's ok?
I've left it pretty much as the default settings with just a couple of tweaks to be honest.
In answer to one of your earlier questions, I used over 260g of hops just thrown in the boil and they filtered the wort very well, no blockages.

I've left it pretty much as the default settings with just a couple of tweaks to be honest.
In answer to one of your earlier questions, I used over 260g of hops just thrown in the boil and they filtered the wort very well, no blockages.

Lovely stuff. Music to my ears. I looking forward to having a new toy to play with. I'll need to start giving more of my beer away!

Good luck, looking on with interest. I would love to upgrade.

Cheers. I was loathe to call it/see it as an upgrade as I feel like I'm already at the point where I have a streamlined process that is perfect for me Minimal drama and fuss on brew days, and am very happy with my beer from a taste and consistency point of view. I'm also not one for thinking that a fancier bit of kit means better beer.

I'm just looking forward to playing with a new toy really, and the G40 appears to have fewer of the minor annoyances that I've seen on other AIOs. Sometimes playing with something new can keep the interest and joy in a hobby.

I'll try to remember to give some updates.

Cheers. I was loathe to call it/see it as an upgrade as I feel like I'm already at the point where I have a streamlined process that is perfect for me Minimal drama and fuss on brew days, and am very happy with my beer from a taste and consistency point of view. I'm also not one for thinking that a fancier bit of kit means better beer.

I'm just looking forward to playing with a new toy really, and the G40 appears to have fewer of the minor annoyances that I've seen on other AIOs. Sometimes playing with something new can keep the interest and joy in a hobby.

I'll try to remember to give some updates.
I went from BIAB to using a big cooler box. So it's an upgrade for me. I still make some really nice beers.

Latest posts

Back