Grainfather G40

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Temperaure control during the mash, WiFi vs Bluetooth means I can be almost anywhere and monitor progress of heating etc. bottom filter plate for filtering the hops is brilliant and a game changer for me. Love the position on the inside for the recirc pipe.
Not all pros though, I store my kit upstairs and the weight difference between the G30 and G40 is ALOT. The G40 is considerably heavier to carry up the stairs but I wouldnt go back.

Any particular highlights? I'm really bad at spending money on myself.
It doesnt make the final beer any better but what I can do is make a double batch (to fill 2x corny kegs) and ferment the same beer under different conditions ie. different yeasts or gravity ferment one and pressure ferment the other.
It is considerably more money though so only you can decide if its worth it to you.

Temperaure control during the mash, WiFi vs Bluetooth means I can be almost anywhere and monitor progress of heating etc. bottom filter plate for filtering the hops is brilliant and a game changer for me. Love the position on the inside for the recirc pipe.
Not all pros though, I store my kit upstairs and the weight difference between the G30 and G40 is ALOT. The G40 is considerably heavier to carry up the stairs but I wouldnt go back.

I definitely don't need it, but it looks a good bit of kit. Very pretty. The weight wouldn't be an issue.

Any other downsides?

It doesnt make the final beer any better but what I can do is make a double batch (to fill 2x corny kegs) and ferment the same beer under different conditions ie. different yeasts or gravity ferment one and pressure ferment the other.
It is considerably more money though so only you can decide if its worth it to you.

Yeah, that's the thing. I know my beer won't get any better with it, and I have my process absolutely nailed. I feel like I'm just wanting to buy for the sake of it 🤣

I definitely don't need it, but it looks a good bit of kit. Very pretty. The weight wouldn't be an issue.

Any other downsides?
Im probably not the right person to ask about downsides, I've not had it that long and only done a few brew so I'm still in the honeymoon period with my rose tinted glases firmly in place.
One thing I noticed early on, and Im not sure if its a plus or minus for you but on the G30 I never got anything ready before I started really whereas on the G40 I have to be more prepared. For example for the same batch size between them I would fill the G30 with my strike water then set it to heat I would then sort, weigh and mill my grains and even sort out my hops before the water was at temperature. The G40 gets there quicker and was ready to mash in before I was so I've had to adjust my method slightly. For me its now a plus as I can get going quicker but it did catch me out the first few times.
If you've no real need for the G40 then stick with the G30, no point spending all that money on something thats going to be no real benefit. It's my hobby and one I really enjoy, so spending the money on nice shiny new toys isn't an issue for me 😊

It's my hobby and one I really enjoy, so spending the money on nice shiny new toys isn't an issue for me 😊

I think that's the bit I need to get over. I'm loathe to spend money on myself and can always find excuses why I don't need something. I'm not like that when I'm buying things for my wife/family 🤣

Thanks for all of your input!

Digiboil with mash kit (essentially a Brewzilla minus recirculation pump).

Absolutely no complaints with my current system.
Thats one of the things I started out with and it produced some great beers. I was using it as a sparge water heater for the G30 before upgrading.

Thats one of the things I started out with and it produced some great beers. I was using it as a sparge water heater for the G30 before upgrading.

I've had it for years. Great to brew on. Brewed on G30 a few times and wasn't a huge fan of certain aspects of it. Felt a bit like a beta product to me, with things not working quite as well as they should.

I don't feel like their is anything in my setup that needs to be upgraded tbh. I don't think there will be appreciable difference to my process, of the quality of the beer. I just want something a bit prettier/more premium-feeling.

I've had it for years. Great to brew on. Brewed on G30 a few times and wasn't a huge fan of certain aspects of it. Felt a bit like a beta product to me, with things not working quite as well as they should.

I don't feel like their is anything in my setup that needs to be upgraded tbh. I don't think there will be appreciable difference to my process, of the quality of the beer. I just want something a bit prettier/more premium-feeling.
Leave it then mate, there are plenty of things you could spend £1k on that would benefit you more. Thats a hell of a lot of ingredients for a kick off.

I've a BZ4 and, while it's grand, every brew day I wish I'd saved a bit more and got a G40. Got a go on one once and they're brilliant.
Absolutely they are.

Leave it then mate, there are plenty of things you could spend £1k on that would benefit you more. Thats a hell of a lot of ingredients for a kick off.

Nooooooo 😂

Money isn't an issue and I already have too many ingredients to use. I just struggle to justify it to myself. It's definitely a "want" purchase rather than a "need" purchase.

Nooooooo 😂

Money isn't an issue and I already have too many ingredients to use. I just struggle to justify it to myself. It's definitely a "want" purchase rather than a "need" purchase.
As everything is in this hobby 😂

And of course you could also take a look at the Darkfarm brew vessels if you are thinking of spending
GF money ,lovely pieces of equipment which will last a long time ,

Their stuff is lovely. Definitely looks like there is flexibility with the Dark Farm stuff, but I'm keen to keep things simple and like AIO systems for that reason.

Back