Good Beer Kit?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just about to start my first kit and didn't realise some of the kits cause this "spewing"... Is it just Coopers or do they all do it ?

Just thinking I need to stand the FV in a something to catch it if it ever happened. Big washing up bowl for example. Its going to be stored in a area I don't want covering in ale :D

It depends on the yeast that you use to an extent - I have swapped out for alternative liquid yeasts and dried ones that don't go quite as hard! I stand it on a big folded towel, which insulates the business end of the FV and absorbs any spills! You could always short-brew and not quite add the full amount of water. Omitting just 1.5L can be enough to reduce or stop spewing, and it intensifies the nice flavours of your beer (as well as making it stronger!)

Haven't seen this in beer brewing because usually there is plenty of space left in the vessel.

But I stand demijohns in the sink or bath when making wine because they can vigorously erupt from the top in the first few days.

You could do the same with a 5 gallon beer FV.

Latest posts

Back