Getting Ready to Brew my first Brew!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

echotraveler

Reaction score
Hello guys!

Echotraveler from Puerto Rico, announcing a new era for men in Puerto Rico! Theres nothing better than homemade...
Im gonna be making a Stout kit. purchased from the good people @ beergadgets.com, the ingredients look fascinating!

I purchased the equipment from a friends friend, who moved...his kit was way more complex than the kits i saw on the net. this brought a wort chiller, metal bottle filler, bottle cleaner, big humongous kettle, a bottle tree with top cleaning station, an air pump with a air rock on a stick thing, hydrometer, capper, caps, 5g glass carboy with orange handle, 6.5g bucket with spegot, 6.5g closed bucket, arilock, racking tube,...ill post a pic tonight much easier

just sanityzed everything with bleach, then c brite, then rinse and dry towel.

Puerto Ricos coast is 80f year round, a stout should be fermented in less...SOOOO I :mrgreen: Had to invest in a refrigerator, ended up buying a Commercial grade Delfield 406 it seems i can fit 2 5g carboys! Is 40F a good fermentation temp? too low = too slow?

ill keep this board updated, hope you guys can help with advice along the way. :drink:

Cheers,

Echotraveler

unclepumble said:
Welcome to the forum, you will want to ferment at around 64-68F
and 59F for lagers.
Happy brewing :drink:

Up

tonight ill see if my refrigerator has the capasity of going higher than 50f, im getting worried about this fact...i dont want to end up modding my fridge =-(....if you had to choose between 50f or 85f to ferment a stout, what would you choose?

hey guys heres a pic of the fridge and some thing
IMG_0133.jpg

echotraveler said:
if you had to choose between 50f or 85f to ferment a stout, what would you choose?
That's a tough question.
At 50F it will take for ever to ferment out and at at 85F you will get spectacular yeast head results + unwanted flavours.
Try fitting a "room" thermostat into your fridge, only a minor mod.
If you're adamant about a choice, 85F.

so i experimented with my fridge, delfied says this refrigerator will operate between 30f and 40f. I proceeded to turn the thermostat knob to almost 0 and the the compressor simply turned off, the fan was still on, the temperature went up slowly, till 85+. Turned the knob a bit around and when the compressor turned on i waited to see when it shut off, getting 40f when it happened!

ARG :x now i need wait for an external thermostat, guess i could also make a lager right now.

Latest posts

Back