Get er Brewed - A Double Edged Sword

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MyQul

Chairman of the Bored
Reaction score
Looking at my order history at @Geterbrewed I have made eight orders, and three of them have been cocked up in part. So not a good ratio

Cock up 1 - I ordered Caramunich malt and was sent regular munich instead

Cock up 2 - I ordered 250g crushed munich malt and was sent uncrushed

Cock up 3 - I ordered 8kg of crushed Irish lager malt and was sent uncrushed

On the flip side GEB's customer service is superb. I contacted them about the CU's by facebook messenger and they always replied within an hour (this last time within a few minutes) and once the problem was ascertained to be GEB's fault they offered to send me out replacements at there own cost no quibbles

'Why do you continue to use them' I hear you say? Because they're so bleedin' cheap. 1kg of Irish base malt (ale,lager or stout) for a quid! They're packing and packaging is also excellent. When you open the hops/malts the smell is so aromatic, fresh and punget. This indicate they store their hops/malts well, and I'm a great believer in using the freshest ingredients for making great beer. They also have a great range of AG ingredients, in particular malts.

Will I continue to use them? Yes. But with the caveat (emptor?) of buying my ingredients well in advance of brewday in case of any future CU so GEB can rectifiy it.

Come on Get er Brewed, get this problem sorted!

I now have 8kg of free uncrushed lager malt but if I want to use it I'll have to crush it with a wine bottle and zip lock bag as I have no grain mill. I'm not looking forward to it :(

I must say my experience of their customer service today has been top class. Got back to me quickly, asked the right questions, and even apologised that they won't be able to resolve my issue until tomorrow.

I have mentioned before that I think they are defiantly innovative and pushing their range ever larger but their logistics end needs work. As well as only ordering well in advance of brew days it has also put me off their custom grain kits, if they have a relatively high cock up rate then how can I be sure the right grains are in that mixed bag (it might still turn out delicious but you could never reproduce it).

I agree their logistics side isn't brilliant I've had a few small issues, but their selection and prices are so good they are still my go to supplier.

I now have 8kg of free uncrushed lager malt but if I want to use it I'll have to crush it with a wine bottle and zip lock bag as I have no grain mill. I'm not looking forward to it :(

As I've seen you mention before you're in South London, Just pop in to Ubrew and use the hand mill, doubt anyone would bat an eyelid.

Friend of mine crushed some grain he'd bought elsewhere at his LHBS ("Cheers" in Sutton). the bloke said he was cheeky for asking but as he bought some stuff whilst there he didn't mind.

I've ordered twice, without problem.

The only drawback for me is that don't have the same name for grains, as the recipes I use...such as Caramalt as Crystal 150...so I have to choose different ones...which is can be a bit of a minefield for newbies like me...

So far no probs with them, pretty damn quick on delivery as well. Ordered goods on sunday and attempted delivery today, out and now delivering on saturday:thumb:

As I've seen you mention before you're in South London, Just pop in to Ubrew and use the hand mill, doubt anyone would bat an eyelid.

Friend of mine crushed some grain he'd bought elsewhere at his LHBS ("Cheers" in Sutton). the bloke said he was cheeky for asking but as he bought some stuff whilst there he didn't mind.

CHEERS is my local aswell, small world

I have mentioned before that I think they are defiantly innovative and pushing their range ever larger but their logistics end needs work. As well as only ordering well in advance of brew days it has also put me off their custom grain kits, if they have a relatively high cock up rate then how can I be sure the right grains are in that mixed bag (it might still turn out delicious but you could never reproduce it).

I bought a custom grain kit once just to see how it worked but I wouldnt do again simply because, as you say, you dont know if they've cocked things up. Actually they did cock up the hops on my custom kit. As I ordered styrian dana 2015 but they sent me 2014. I like to use the freshest hops I can get but seeing as they were for bittering only I didn't complain and get them to sent me some 2015 hops

You could sell it?

I've had three quite complex orders off them and not had any issues at all, so they can do it. :-)

As uncrushed grain lasts months my plan is to order 1 less kg for the next 8 brews and crush 1kg of the uncrushed stuff to add the brew. I'm a very patient person but even my patients would be tested to breaking point crushing 8kg with a wine bottle and a zip lock bag

If the customer service is good you should always use them nothing worse than bad customer service

And as you see in my OP this is one of the reasons why I will continue to use them. HBC has similarly cheap prices but there are stories on the forum from other forumites who have used HBC that they have has similar cock ups to GEB but the customer servive by HBC was appalling

I used to buy me ingredients from ubrew but I got fed up with having to cart my trolly back and forth down to Bermondsey then having to wait around (sometimes for up to 1/2 an hour) till they could serve me. So I switched to online HB shops

Well I've discoved you can grind grain using one of those stick blenders. I've just done 200g of caragold. It probably grinds it a bit finer than maybe you want but if your BIAB I dont think it should matter that much. Might even get more efficiency?

And as you see in my OP this is one of the reasons why I will continue to use them. HBC has similarly cheap prices but there are stories on the forum from other forumites who have used HBC that they have has similar cock ups to GEB but the customer servive by HBC was appalling

Have to say i emailed HBC at 10pm about amending my order and Shane got back to me in 20 minutes. Had mistakes from a few companies who i wont bother naming as i think if i ran a HBS i would inevitably be one of them.
I can buy 25kg of Maris locally for £26 so i do if i can.
I do appreciate the companies that send you a text with a 1hour window though. All should do this. :thumb:

Back