Fridge Feezer; can they be split?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Horatio

Reaction score
Not sure if this has been asked before but...

If I were to get a large fridge freezer (the type with two equal sized units but with only one plug), could it be doctored so that I could control each unit independently? I don’t mean physically separate them but using something like a pair of ATC800+s could I effectively make two fermentation chambers, one from the fridge and one from the freezer?

My thinking, and this is based on no knowledge what so ever, is that if each unit has its own compressor then I should just be able to supply power to each one, via the temp controller. Or do they share a compressor?

I appreciate that it may not be THAT simple, but is it possible?

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.

It does depend on the fridge freezer. Our current one has a single compressor and a fan (possibly on a thermostat but probably a timer) that blows cold air from the freezer into the fridge unit. . . . When I reclaim it after having the kitchen refitted I will be 'altering' it to have two seperate Thermostatically controlled compartments using digital temperature controllers .. . . . and the frost free bit will also be manually switch-able.

Hi Aleman, That sounds like what I want to do. I have never controlled temperture during the ferment before; usually I stop brewing around this time of year. :( I want to brew all year round now so need some temp control. I could just go for a a fridge and a freezer (I want to have a crack at lager) but there seem to more fridgefreezers on freecycle that seperate units.

If you do your conversion can you post up what you needed to do?

Many thanks.

They share a compressor, so the simple answer is no. Some don't have fans but heater in the fridge side to keep it warmer depending on the age

It could be possible in two cabinets.

The piping for the fridge will come from the compressor in very small bore pipe which goes the the expansion hole causing it to get cold in the fridge, this now expaned gas ( but still under pressure) now goes to the freezer and through another expansion hole to lower its pressure again releasing all of the pressure and therefore makes it colder in the freezer.

Thats simple laymans terms ;)

muddydisco said:
They share a compressor, so the simple answer is no. Some don't have fans but heater in the fridge side to keep it warmer depending on the age

It could be possible in two cabinets.

The piping for the fridge will come from the compressor in very small bore pipe which goes the the expansion hole causing it to get cold in the fridge, this now expaned gas ( but still under pressure) now goes to the freezer and through another expansion hole to lower its pressure again releasing all of the pressure and therefore makes it colder in the freezer.

Thats simple laymans terms ;)

You call that simple!! :D

"DOH" :?

alien.gif

Back