Foraging Law

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
oogaboogachief said:
I believe the plants actually produce the berry for seed to reproduce. Birds eating them is just a plus as it distributes the seeds wherever the bird leaves them. Mike
They produce a berry to entice birds and other animals to eat them, and with it the seeds of the plant. The animal then distributes the seeds as droppings later on helping the plants spread and multiply.

Ha, yep you did, but I read it as saying the birds eating the fruit is a bonus when it's actually the main purpose. Another tomato tomato conversation I think. ;)

So little thread has got me thinking, can you pick berries from council owned parks? Do you need to get there permission first? and on a side not do you need the permission of the owner to pick berries if the berries hang over there border?

fruit hanging over a border onto your side... can you pick ? well I guess not technically as the fruit belongs to them Now you can cut roaming branches off overhanging trees, BUT you should return all the branches to the " owner " However I can't see many complaints appearing at court re this.
I saw an article recently on Council owned property and National Trust parks and even an arboretum talking about folks collecting conkers horse chestnuts and fruit on their land. It stated it is illegal, however all were happy to allow folks to collect the fruits and pursue a countryside activity as long as no damage was caused.

:thumb:

I didne think I would get prosecuted it is just the is a bunch of elder trees in my local park and I want to take the berries.

berry picking and collecting the " fruits of the forest " are deemed as countryside pursuits and are welcomed usually of course damage and trespass are entirely separate

I have found with most councils that they don't mind if you take fruit from parks, as long as it's not for commercial purposes, and as long as you're not stripping entire trees of fruit, and depriving other park users of 'a fair share'. Sometimes the set up might indicate that you shouldn't take any - a community orchard in a public park, for instance, that uses the fruit for its own purposes.
always best to ask - the worst is that they say no.

Back