Football.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes. Not sure how much sky sports are now but must he around £30, which is paying for 24/7 programmes that are repeated and nobody watches. Plus a system where all games are streamed would be better

I had Sky sport for a while but didn't realise before signing up they didn't show every game every week so I stopped subscribing as I am not interested in watching other teams play each other, if I could watch my team live or delayed by a couple of hours on march day every week I would subscribe again but the price would have to come down.

The young people that they want to attract aren't in the this country; they are China, Hong Kong, India...
Anyway, increasingly it's not about crowds at stadiums, it's TV rights that matter. Crowds at stadiums often are only really important insofar as an empty stadium isn't a good look on TV.

I am a season ticket holder for my team in my preferred sport (rugby league). This season has been upset by covid of course, but normally it costs me around £220 I think. I reckon that's good value for seeing the best players in the country performing in a very tough yet skilful sport. Perhaps the game may yet attract some of the many disillusioned football fans in the North-West..

A couple of mates used to play at decent amateur level and I watched occasionally but I couldn't get into it, this was back in the dark days of crowd violence and I loved the fact rugby fans were not like some of the so called scum that called themselves football fans back then.

Last edited:
The problem Covrich is that these clubs have got themselves into a financial problem and created prima donna footballers. The top ten earn in excess of £350,000 per WEEK and that is what is driving it.
How can a working man justify paying £200 to take his family to watch these people who really do think they are worth that, at some point the bubble has got to burst you would think and let hope its soon. People have lost their jobs during a pandemic and these players have been paid whilst sitting on the sidelines THE WORLD is CRAZY

I whole heartedly agree with you the disproportion to that kind of money and real world is.. bonkers.

Like you say it will burst at some point and that will be a good thing long term.

Chippy>

I have a subscription to watch the Australian NRL, where you are seeing the best players in the world, and it is thrilling stuff. Fast-paced and skilful.

A couple of mates used to play at decent amateur level and I watched occasionally but I couldn't get into it, this was back in the bark days of crowd violence and I loved the fact rugby fans were not like some of the so called scum that called themselves football fans back then.

I live near the Ricoh Arena and a few years ago I went up there back to back days. One day to watch Coventry City play ( i cannot remember if I am honest) and the next day to watch Wasps vs Leicester Tigers

Obvioulsy no trouble at either event, there will always be some idiots who want to cause a trouble or have a fight maybe but the majority of the football fans are there for the football and get the bad rep assosiated with the past and the odd a hole.

However the vibe is totally different. at the football obvioulsy it is mixed by by large its men and mates drinking in groups whereas on the rugby game that same guy would be there with his girlfriend or parents. Rather than sit there and point and scream expletives at the small bunch of opposition fans you are all blended. I remember Tigers lost at the death that day and me and my son supported them he burst into tears and wasps fans around us consoled him and told him how proud he should feel and what a great game it was..

I am sure none of the people at either fixture are any different generally all good people but it is odd how this terratorial tribal intimination still exists in football only , not that I ever got involved in it, and I have been to 100s of football matches last of which was at wmebley for promotion, what a great day that was..

Now tv aka sky do a day pass for £9.99 month for £30. Used to be a lot more reasonable at £5.99 for day £12.99 for week and £20 for month.

My boys, 19 and 22 have absolutely no interest in football (like me!)
I don't think any of their mates follow it either...
They both show a passing interest in rugby.
I wonder if football has (at last) had its day?

I wonder if football has (at last) had its day?

I honestly believe it has.

Too expensive to go to games especially if you live hundreds of miles away from the team you support, no coverage on TV unless you pay SKY and hope they put your teams match on which is not often, how can young people become interested if they cannot view it.

Last edited:
Shame, really.
My late father was, and my brother is still an ardent football follower.
(Plus, it gives me something else to moan about!!!)

Too expensive to go to games especially if you live hundreds of miles away from the team you support, no coverage on TV unless you pay SKY and hope they put your teams match on which is not often, how can young people become interested if they cannot view it.

Precisely why i encouraged my kids support their local team. I was born and bred on Merseyside and all family are reds but as a grown up I have lived in South East London for a similar amount of time. So pleased now that I don't have to drag myself to Anfield for kids birthdays etc.

Also Carlisle are my other team and though one of the kids has a shirt that really is a no no in terms of trek.

The premier league is not football it's just a division, football happens outside the PL with hundreds of club up and down the country. Sky have ruined our top division but football is as strong as ever.

Precisely why i encouraged my kids support their local team. I was born and bred on Merseyside and all family are reds but as a grown up I have lived in South East London for a similar amount of time. So pleased now that I don't have to drag myself to Anfield for kids birthdays etc.

Also Carlisle are my other team and though one of the kids has a shirt that really is a no no in terms of trek.

Charlton or Millwall?

I used to go Anfield a lot in the 70s and 80s the glory days, King Kenny, jocky Hanson and co, football these days is played by panseys the hard men are long gone, Dave Mackay, Roy Hartle at Bolton Tommy Smith, Norman Hunter Nobby Stiles and the like, i would love to see some of the elite strikers of today come up up against them

delayed by a couple of hours on march day every week I would subscribe again
They do that don’t they? Or at least they did in the good old days when Sunderland were a top division team. Later on at night they had a featured game, and all the others were on the red button. It was maybe extended highlights rather than the full game but it was still over an hour of football IIRC.

1576300D-9836-4477-9565-C2541854778F.jpeg

Ultimately they come to the same conclusion. The most popular video games with kids are the free ones.

Ultimately they come to the same conclusion. The most popular video games with kids are the free ones.
They didn’t even update any features for FIFA21 on the Switch (it’s the kids’ Switch but I play it) - it’s just the exact same game as FIFA20 with the strips and transfers updated.

I wouldn’t have bought it if I already had FIFA20, and I definitely wouldn’t have bought it at the RRP of £50 (I paid about half that in the sale).

Latest posts

Back