First time brewer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pjf1985

Reaction score
Hello all, I’m new to home brewing. I am starting out my adventure with a Woodfordes Wherry kit.

I prepared the beer 2 days ago now and a little concerned that the lid is going to blow off my bucket? By the way, I don’t have the radiator on even though the bucket is sat near it so I think the temperature should be fine.

Attachments

• 0D55C987-D007-4EB7-A8FA-E4D5BC817FFF.jpeg
    0D55C987-D007-4EB7-A8FA-E4D5BC817FFF.jpeg
    49.1 KB · Views: 9
  • E30FFE3A-BBDB-4950-8599-235BAA3C0235.jpeg
    E30FFE3A-BBDB-4950-8599-235BAA3C0235.jpeg
    32.1 KB · Views: 0
Lift the corner of the lid immediately !, You need to realise the CO2. Your bucket should have a valve with an airlock filled with water to allow the gas to escape. Fermentation produces gas. I’m baffled why your bucket doesn’t come with hole in the centre of the lid to which your airlock is inserted.. But this aside, you can leave the lid on loose.

Ps the optimal temp for ale to ferment is between 18-22oC, aim for 20oC. If the kit didn’t come with a stick on thermometer strip these can be bought fairly cheaply at any HB store or Amazon, EBay ect. And also welcome to the forum,, any doubts just keep asking questions, We are a friendly group on here. Good luck with your first brew 🍻

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum, yes they are not totally airtight so gas will escape but a airlock can be used its entirely up to you, either way it will work

Thanks for your help guys.

The bucket is not fitted with an airlock and is suitable for brewing. Maybe I’ll just open it to let some gas out? I think air must be coming out as it has made some squeaking noises!

I did exactly the same thing on my first brew but I didn't great advice from knowledgeable people and the lid burst off at 3 in the morning. I thought it was some sort of explosive (things sound louder at night) I have never been so scared in my life!

I did exactly the same thing on my first brew but I didn't great advice from knowledgeable people and the lid burst off at 3 in the morning. I thought it was some sort of explosive (things sound louder at night) I have never been so scared in my life!
Haha that’s what I was worried about! And soaking our bedroom with beer! The wife wouldn’t be happy!!

I’ve lifted a “corner” of the lid, it was like defusing a bomb lol. Luckily just a little bit of gas leaked out (the lid) and I’ve left it off ever so slightly.

Everyday is a School day. Next time you could drill a hole in the lid and fit a grommet, and then fit an airlock. I’ve done about 24 kits now and I’m still learning. So keep asking questions. You can buy the grommets and airlocks in homebrew shops or online.

In the (very) old days, before plastic gear and the Internet, some home brew instructions advised to put a cloth/tea towel over the fermentation vessel. So no explosions there. And the beer was consumed....There are commercial breweries around (especially in Belgium) who brew in uncovered fermentation vats and all is well (they take advantage of certain yeast strains floating around us).

In the (very) old days, before plastic gear and the Internet, some home brew instructions advised to put a cloth/tea towel over the fermentation vessel. So no explosions there. And the beer was consumed....There are commercial breweries around (especially in Belgium) who brew in uncovered fermentation vats and all is well (they take advantage of certain yeast strains floating around us).
sorry to go off topic, but responding to Klaus's reply - I am thinking that these must be the "Lambic" beers? How do they guarantee which yeast is going to do the work or do all their brews come out slightly different?

sorry to go off topic, but responding to Klaus's reply - I am thinking that these must be the "Lambic" beers? How do they guarantee which yeast is going to do the work or do all their brews come out slightly different?
Yes - this video about Lindemans Brewery gives some insight:
The variability is part of the product - I'm sure there are loads of members/posts on the forum about this.

Thanks for your help guys.

The bucket is not fitted with an airlock and is suitable for brewing. Maybe I’ll just open it to let some gas out? I think air must be coming out as it has made some squeaking noises!
With/without an airlock, I'd suggest it's still not a good idea to ferment on carpet without some sort of drip tray underneath. Doesn't need to be fancy, just a patio pot tray from a garden centre will do. Sooner or later you'll brew something which will make a bid for freedom. =unhappy wife.

With/without an airlock, I'd suggest it's still not a good idea to ferment on carpet without some sort of drip tray underneath. Doesn't need to be fancy, just a patio pot tray from a garden centre will do. Sooner or later you'll brew something which will make a bid for freedom. =unhappy wife.
Exactly what I was thinking! My wife would divorce me if I had a fermenting batch in the bedroom. I have had a few batches where the yeast decided to escape too.

I had a wheat beer that recently went everywhere as it really took off like a rocket. It's a good thing I have a big tray under that bucket and it's on laminated flooring. My husband was like 'OMG' and I'm like 'Relax, it's all contained....' And it was. Made for terrible clean up of the neoprene sleeve around the bucket, but at least I didn't have to break out a carpet cleaner. Get yourself a tray or a bucket to put your bucket in :-)

Back