First TC, and ginger beer advice

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drf

Reaction score
I've brewed a couple of kit ales and want to give TC a go. Since it's going to be a first experiment I thought I'd do 5 L TC and 5 L ginger beer at the same time, each in a 5 L water bottle. I have a couple of airlocks so I'm good to go. I'm after a bit of advice. First, my intended recipes, or thereabouts:

Cider (based on one by a dreadskin in another place)
5 L apple juice
340g (or near enough) honey
1.5 to 2 bramley apples, skinned,blended
1/2 cup strong tea from 1 bag

Method:
Use some juice to melt the honey, add tea, bung the apples in, stick in FV in 4 L total juice. Add yeast. When apples fall out, rack to 2nd vessel and top up to 5 L with juice. Bottle with up to 0.5 tsp sugar/bottle (I may batch prime with 5 tsp sugar in solution).

Ginger beer (based on on rickthebrew's from here)
250g grated ginger
1 lemon
1.2 kg sugar
0.5 tsp yeast nutrient

Method:
boil ginger, lemon for 30min in up to 2 L water. Dissolve sugar, top up with cold water to 4 L in FV. Add yeast. Top up to 5 L when fermentation settles down. Bottle with up to 0.5 tsp sugar/bottle (I may batch prime with 5 tsp sugar in solution).

Notes/questions:

-yeast: I'll split a sachet of cider yeast 50:50 between brews

-for both brews, what about aeration? Both my ale brews have stuck a bit and I suspect lack of aeration at the start as the problem. Should giving the bottle FVs a decent shake before pitching do the trick?

- will 4 L in a 5 L bottle result in yeast all over the place, or is it likely to stay contained? How about when topping up to 5 L? Would I be better sticking to a 4 L maximum?

- I'll ferment for 2 weeks as that'll keep things simple. I don't want to keep taking hydrometer readings as I don't want to lose brew or risk contamination/oxidation. I'd take a reading just before 2 weeks to see if it's got down to a reasonable lowness. Might use at least one PET bottle so I can check how carbonation is progressing.

-sweetening: I'd prefer them not to be ridiculously dry, probably sweeten at drinking time with either juice or Splenda equivalent and consider adding sweetener at bottling time the next time I brew

-have seen mention of malic acid addition for the cider to add a bit of tartness but for the 1st batch I'll see how it goes

-for the ginger beer I've seen cream of tartar added - is it a problem to leave it out?

Must dash, maybe a couple of other questions later.....

The Turbo Cider sounds just like a Cycer (Apple Mead) to me.

I have uploaded a basic Turbo Cider guide in this thread, hope it helps.

As for your Ginger Beer try this. Im trying a new brew for Ginger Beer out this weekend but It will be a while before I decide if its worth uploading my own recipe.

Cheers

Marrsy

Marrsy86 said:

As for your Ginger Beer try this. Im trying a new brew for Ginger Beer out this weekend but It will be a while before I decide if its worth uploading my own recipe.

Thanks for that. My ginger beer recipe was in fact based on that one in the link, but scaled down.

I see you use yeast nutrient for the cider as well. I don't suppose it does any harm adding it, so I will do so. Do you really use 1 table spoon in a 5 L brew though? That ginger beer recipe uses 2 teaspoons for 20 L, so I was thinking 0.5 teaspoons for my 5 L batch. 1 tablespoon sounds like an awful lot!

Cheers!

A Malic acid addition will replace what is missing in the apple varieties used in apple juice. The other important thing about malic acid is to leave it for 5-6 months to allow malolactic fermentation where by the malic acid is broken down to lactic acid. This does take time hence leaving it to mature in bulk under airlock.

drf said:
Marrsy86 said:

Thanks for that. My ginger beer recipe was in fact based on that one in the link, but scaled down.

I see you use yeast nutrient for the cider as well. I don't suppose it does any harm adding it, so I will do so. Do you really use 1 table spoon in a 5 L brew though? That ginger beer recipe uses 2 teaspoons for 20 L, so I was thinking 0.5 teaspoons for my 5 L batch. 1 tablespoon sounds like an awful lot!

Cheers!

It should be 1 Teaspoon, I cant check over the file right now but I will have to change that :whistle:

Marrsy86 said:
It should be 1 Teaspoon, I cant check over the file right now but I will have to change that :whistle:

It looks like it might be all the recipes! E.g. cherry vimto wine has 1 tablespoon each of yeast, nutrient, citric acid and pectolase!

drf said:
Marrsy86 said:

It looks like it might be all the recipes! E.g. cherry vimto wine has 1 tablespoon each of yeast, nutrient, citric acid and pectolase!

Cheers for pointing that out, I will sort it over the weekend :thumb:

Latest posts

Back