First Kit: Readings

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stewart

Reaction score
I've just taken a sample of my stout and the SG reading is 1008, which is the same as it was two days ago when I last had the chance. Does this mean it's ready to transfer to the keg to condition, or should I let it keep going until the SG gets down below the more hydrometer friendly 1006.

Final Gravity readings can vary considerably and there's no guarantee that it will hit anything which might be printed on the tin. If you use any ‘enhancer’ or dried malt extract (DME or Spraymalt) that will raise the FG slightly as they contain some unfermentable sugars but will give your beer more body.

If you've had a steady 1.008 for 2 days it's probably not going to go any lower.

Leaving it for another couple of days might be beneficial, but if weekends are more convenient for you, go ahead and keg it.

Sean_Mc said:
I'd bottle it now :thumb:
I'll be a few down the line before I start bottling. First one, so just want to see if it's a success.

Moley said:
Final Gravity readings can vary considerably and there's no guarantee that it will hit anything which might be printed on the tin. If you use any ‘enhancer’ or dried malt extract (DME or Spraymalt) that will raise the FG slightly as they contain some unfermentable sugars but will give your beer more body.
Yes, I used spray malt, so if that's what explains it, I'll go ahead and keg it now.

Thanks.

Kegging is more forgiving than bottling if it hasn't quite finished fermenting.

Kegs have pressure release valves which will vent excess pressure, bottles don't.

By the sounds of your hydrometer readings it has finished though so I'd get it kegged with about 100g of sugar to prime it in the keg.

So do I just chuck the sugar into the keg and then siphon from the fermentation bucket over it, tighten the cap, and the rest happens magically over the next couple of weeks?

Sorry, its me that's bottling today :grin:

Yeah just keep the keg warm so the yeasties produce co2 to carbonate for 7-10 days then somewhere cool for a couple of weeks

Latest posts

Back