First Homebrew - Festival Old Suffolk Stong Ale Kit PICS

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hainsey

Reaction score
I had never made homebrew before or even thought about it however somehow I found myself of a blog from the owner of Homebrew Supermarket in Runcorn and thought heyI could try one of those kits. The wife, mother in law and I were going to a baby show in Liverpool so I used this as a great excuse to take a small detour on the way back to buy a kit! I bought a starter kit from Homebrew. £44 lighter and I walked away with all the kit I needed to get me started.

Unfortunately I didn't take any photo's before the fermenting stage because I was nervous enough about cocking things up! The instructions with the kit were good but now after reading this forum I know there are loads of things I could have done to get the yeast fermenting quicker.

Day 1 - Fermenting
WP_000055_zpsd5733982.jpg

Day 5 - Dry Hopping
WP_000078_zps198dd808.jpg

Day 15 - Syphon and priming (cat optional extra with the kit ;)
WP_000088_zps445eb2d9.jpg

WP_000089_zps46d8c2f9.jpg

WP_000090_zps9f9b79f9.jpg

Day 15 - Bottling
WP_000091_zps6df20b6e.jpg

Day 15 - 23L conditioning. :cheers:
WP_000092_zps3d3541b2.jpg

Looks good, thats a great homebrew shop and the festival kits are great, ive done the landlord bitter and it was lovely. Good luck with it, best to get another going soon to build up a stock

mmaguy41 said:
Looks good, thats a great homebrew shop and the festival kits are great, ive done the landlord bitter and it was lovely. Good luck with it, best to get another going soon to build up a stock

Agreed, cheers

Those festival kits are excellent. I'm sure you'll get some great results. Just remember you need to condition these kits at least 4-5 weeks to do them justice. My Festival Pilgrims Hope has been in the bottle about 7 weeks and is fantastic.

DamageCase said:
Those festival kits are excellent. I'm sure you'll get some great results. Just remember you need to condition these kits at least 4-5 weeks to do them justice. My Festival Pilgrims Hope has been in the bottle about 7 weeks and is fantastic.

Yeah have read that a lot, I will have to drink some in 10 days though and save some back because I can't wait 4 weeks!

Anyone know the weight of the priming sugar they supply with the kits please? , I'm sure I'm using too much as I'm getting loads of froth using my pressure barrel. :wha:

I think the priming sugar should be used with bottles only, if using a pressurised barrel the co2 you pressurise it with should be sufficient although in sure someone will correct me if that's wrong.

That looks like a lovely dark beer. :thumb:
What ABV are you getting from it?
I'm doing the Festival Golden Stag Summer ale at the moment and can't wait to try it. :drink:

I figure it should be 4.14% inc 0.2 for bottling fermenting. Nowhere near the 6% it says on the box but I reckon with more air in wort , yeast starter and more consistant temp one could get a higher abv. Not sure anyone without a lab could get 6% from the kit though?!

Hainsey said:
I figure it should be 4.14% inc 0.2 for bottling fermenting. Nowhere near the 6% it says on the box but I reckon with more air in wort , yeast starter and more consistant temp one could get a higher abv. Not sure anyone without a lab could get 6% from the kit though?!

I have just found out on another thread that there are several formulas for working out ABV anyway! There was a 0.7% difference between the formula I was using and this other chap!

So just use the formula that gives you 6% and you will be laughing!!
:rofl:

Latest posts

Back