First ever brew day.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheRedDarren

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I recently bought an http://www.the-home-brew-shop.co.uk/acatalog/Deluxe-All-Grain-Mashing-Setup.html#.VVpFm5Oul1Qall grain brewing kit from The Homebrew shop, and fair play to them it arrived less than twenty four hours later, all nice and shiney!
So, I've never brewed anything before, but I recently picked up a homebrew book quite randomly and read that you can brew from grains, this is right up my street so I thought I'd give it a go. Half a million youtube videos later and a joint 40th birthday pressie from my family and ba da bing!

Using Brewmate to calculate a few details like total liquor volume and strike water temp and we're off!

IMG_0590.jpg

Transferring liquor to the mash tun.
http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=1624&stc=1&d=1431981862
IMG_0591.jpg
I think I got a bit of the info I typed into Brewmate wrong as it told me to heat water to 71c for a mash temp of 66c but it ended up with an initial mash temp of 62c which was far too cool so I added 1l of boiling from the kettle and checked again - 64c so one more litre of boiling got me to 66c. No problem.
Then leave it for 90 minutes to mash.
IMG_0593.jpg
I might get myself some iodine so I can check saccharification progress, just out of interest really...
Once 90 mins was up I made sure I had enough sparge water heated up to 82 ish and started my first runnings, a lot of info I had already gathered had said to run off few 100mls until it runs clear, return the unclear wort to the tun and run clear stuff off into a collection vessel, well, I had to run off about 2l before it was nice and clear. I had to batch sparge as I don't yet have a sparge arm, but I think it worked out ok, I recharged the mash tun with another 10l and stirred gently and let it sit for about 10 mins before starting the second runnings.
Again, I had to draw off two litres before I was happy and returned it to the tun.
I did three batches in all.
IMG_0594.jpg
Lovely clear wort, Tastes nice too!
IMG_0595.jpg
Back into the boiler and start the 90 minute boil.
IMG_0597.jpg
The kit only came with bittering hops so they went in at the point where it came to a full rolling boil.
IMG_0598.jpg
The wort chiller that came with the kit worked brilliantly and brought the temp down from 100c to 25c in about 25/30 minutes.
IMG_0599.jpg
Time to run off into the FV and pitch the yeast. I took a gravity reading of 1042 (target was 1038) so I was a bit off there, then once I'd run it off into the FV I found I only had 19l instead of 23l so I guess thats why the OG was a bit high, I should have topped up with another 4l to hit the marks but didn't think of it until later, but I'm sure it'll be ok, just a bit stronger right?
IMG_0600.jpg
Only about 6 hours later I heard the first bubble through the airlock and its away! It's currently bubbling like crazy and has a massive yeast head on it1

IMG_0603.jpg
So thats its so far, I think its been a success... time will tell for sure.
But I found it all very straight forward and very do-able. If you're thinking about trying the all grain route just go for it! I have never brewed anything before and it was fine for me, so surely anyone can do it!

IMG_0590.jpg

Hey guys,
I recently bought an http://www.the-home-brew-shop.co.uk/acatalog/Deluxe-All-Grain-Mashing-Setup.html#.VVpFm5Oul1Qall grain brewing kit from The Homebrew shop, and fair play to them it arrived less than twenty four hours later, all nice and shiney!
So, I've never brewed anything before, but I recently picked up a homebrew book quite randomly and read that you can brew from grains, this is right up my street so I thought I'd give it a go. Half a million youtube videos later and a joint 40th birthday pressie from my family and ba da bing!

Using Brewmate to calculate a few details like total liquor volume and strike water temp and we're off!

View attachment 1624

Transferring liquor to the mash tun.
http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=1624&stc=1&d=1431981862
View attachment 1625
I think I got a bit of the info I typed into Brewmate wrong as it told me to heat water to 71c for a mash temp of 66c but it ended up with an initial mash temp of 62c which was far too cool so I added 1l of boiling from the kettle and checked again - 64c so one more litre of boiling got me to 66c. No problem.
Then leave it for 90 minutes to mash.
View attachment 1626
I might get myself some iodine so I can check saccharification progress, just out of interest really...
Once 90 mins was up I made sure I had enough sparge water heated up to 82 ish and started my first runnings, a lot of info I had already gathered had said to run off few 100mls until it runs clear, return the unclear wort to the tun and run clear stuff off into a collection vessel, well, I had to run off about 2l before it was nice and clear. I had to batch sparge as I don't yet have a sparge arm, but I think it worked out ok, I recharged the mash tun with another 10l and stirred gently and let it sit for about 10 mins before starting the second runnings.
Again, I had to draw off two litres before I was happy and returned it to the tun.
I did three batches in all.
View attachment 1627
Lovely clear wort, Tastes nice too!
View attachment 1628
Back into the boiler and start the 90 minute boil.
View attachment 1629
The kit only came with bittering hops so they went in at the point where it came to a full rolling boil.
View attachment 1630
The wort chiller that came with the kit worked brilliantly and brought the temp down from 100c to 25c in about 25/30 minutes.
View attachment 1631
Time to run off into the FV and pitch the yeast. I took a gravity reading of 1042 (target was 1038) so I was a bit off there, then once I'd run it off into the FV I found I only had 19l instead of 23l so I guess thats why the OG was a bit high, I should have topped up with another 4l to hit the marks but didn't think of it until later, but I'm sure it'll be ok, just a bit stronger right?
View attachment 1632
Only about 6 hours later I heard the first bubble through the airlock and its away! It's currently bubbling like crazy and has a massive yeast head on it1

View attachment 1633
So thats its so far, I think its been a success... time will tell for sure.
But I found it all very straight forward and very do-able. If you're thinking about trying the all grain route just go for it! I have never brewed anything before and it was fine for me, so surely anyone can do it!

View attachment 1624[/QUOTE
Great post Darren

Great write up, and a nice brewday! Very clear wort!

You can still add water. 2 litres will get you to 1.038.

ah ok... warm or cold? And what if I didn't? Would it just be a bit stronger, more body etc?

I would say same temperature as what's already in fv - don't want to risk upsetting the yeast. If you didn't add any you're looking at a higher abv.

If you don't add any water the main differences are the strength, and more bitterness. You bittered the beer for 23 litres so the bitterness in 19L will be greater. You could wait until you decide to bottle, taste it, and decide what to do. You can water it down at bottling/kegging time.

Ah ok, I might just leave it for a bit and decide later.
With regards to racking, I have a king keg, but do I want to use a secondary fv first? Or is the keg a secondary fv?

It's not a secondary FV, but you don't need to use a secondary FV. Leave it where it is for about 3 weeks, then transfer to keg.

Leave it in the current fv for that long? I thought I had to get it out there as soon as the action stopped?

No, it benefits from time in the FV. Minimum 2 weeks, 3 weeks better. Be patient. It will allow the yeast to do everything it wants to do, and settle out, leave a nice clean, clear beer.

Glad you told me! I'm away this weekend and would have kegged it!
Thanks fella.
So once it's racked, how long before I can taste it?

It depends on the beer really. Some styles are ready quickly, others need more time. It's also a personal thing, some people like young beers, others prefer more conditioned beers. Is it a stout?

A lot of folks seem to go for 2 + 2 + 2 - 2 weeks fv, 2 weeks warm, 2 weeks cold. That's what I do anyway. Of course, if you can resist the temptation and leave it longer than 6 weeks.....

Omg! 6 weeks?! I dunno about that. I dubious about letting it ferment!

So, two weeks cold and two weeks warm? What does that mean fella?

Back