First brew help!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vanderkidd

Reaction score
Hi, new forum here member and I'm a bit desperate for some advice/reassurance/confirmation my attempt is a loss!

I picked up a Cooper's Australian Pale Ale, attempted to follow the instructions but ultimately think i messed it up..

Rather than mixing in the fermenter i mixed it all in a pot, i then filled the fermenter to 20 ltrs of cold water, then added the wort. I now realise the wort should be in there first.

End result i had more than the 5 gallon marker of liquid. I scooped out 1.5 ltr of excess so it was below the line in fear that once the yeast was pitched it may bubble to much. I now know this means my sugars ratio would be lower than ideal.

OG was 1.034, which I thought seemed OK. Pitched the yeast whilst temp was at 18C (scattered dry - not rehydrated or stirred) and waited for some bubbles in my airlock.

Fast forward 16 hours and nothing - no bubbles but definitely some yeast activity after taking a peak under the lid. Thinking the issue was temperature (18C at this stage) i moved the fermenter nearer a radiator and increased the heat. checked a couple of hours later and far more bubbles underneath, but still nothing coming through the airlock.

When the lid is on, and i press on the lid, the water levels in the airlock move so i'm assuming i have a decent tight seal on it.

Move on another 24 hours and still nothing from the airlock, another check under the lid and all the bubbling activity on the top has died right down and there appears to only be some little bubbles coming through the liquids (much like bubbles you'd see coming up through a pint).

Where I think I have ultimately gone wrong is when I moved the bucket nearer the radiator and turned up the heat, my thermometer reached 27C on the side of the bucket furthest from the radiator, so no doubt it would have been hotter on the nearside. Could I have I killed the yeast? I'm unsure because the room the bucket is sitting in now smells very yeasty!

Any ideas? Is there any way to save this, or do I start again? Or am i worrying about nothing?

Welcome to the Forum.
I'm not a kit brewer, but I don't think you've gone wrong at all.
Brewing buckets are notoriously bad at sealing, so don't worry about the "bubbler" not performing.
Your real tool is your hydrometer!

If the hydrometer shows that the brew is going nowhere, I read somewhere about throwing a second lot of yeast in (maybe rehydrated)?

But I've never tried this - maybe someone with more experience could comment?

All the best,

Ian

Hey buddy Im reasonably new to brewing too and was just as worried as you. As already mentioned i would almost guarantee that the lid isnt sealing on you bin. if you can see activity then im sure it will be fine. I eventually changed to a demi-john as you always get a tight seal and you can see the beer fermenting. Looks great

thanks for the speedy replies folks!

I've just taken a new hydrometer reading, currently sitting at 1.006! that's in the right direction!

feeling much better about it all now!

gibb58 said:
Hey buddy Im reasonably new to brewing too and was just as worried as you. As already mentioned i would almost guarantee that the lid isnt sealing on you bin. if you can see activity then im sure it will be fine. I eventually changed to a demi-john as you always get a tight seal and you can see the beer fermenting. Looks great
i've actually got three demi-johns i could use, passed on from a friend. Decided to start with the bin, but think i'll give the demi-john a go next time!

evanvine said:
vanderkidd said:
1.006! that's in the right direction!
Step! Its bloody near finished!
i was thinking that, didn't expect it to be that quick! still going to leave it until Friday/Saturday to make sure the reading stays the same.

Needing to get some priming sugar still as well. Seems like there's too many options at the moment, and the best recommended ones don't appear to be so handy for me. Anyone able to make a recommendation? :whistle:

LeedsBrewer said:
yep ordinary sugar for priming. at 27C you wont kill yeast but they'll start producing some off flavours. 19-21C is the sweet spot. If you havent read it yet make sure you have a read of viewtopic.php?f=30&t=24822
that's really handy! thanks! I had planned to do a lot more research prior to brewing my first, however, i opened the can of extract not realising it was all that was in the can! i was expecting packets!

I'm going to pass this on to a friend who is about to do their first batch soon, should help them greatly!

Back