First Attempt

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlakenhallBrewer

Reaction score
After lurking on these forums for ages trying to learn as much as I could I thought it was high time to stop just thinking about it and get brewing.

My first brew was meant to be a Timothy Taylor Clone out of Graham Wheelers book, here's a few pics of how it went...

6498641225_8621d32df5_m.jpg

The Wife thought I was mad making labels for the ingredients but i was paranoid about getting things mixed up.

6498642519_19c683a192_m.jpg

All the malt in and frothing up nicely

6498646079_978456a334_m.jpg

First hop addition

6498649813_82373b8ee4_m.jpg

Chiller in 30 minutes from end of boil (N.B many thanks to Big Yin for the excellent how to on building a twin coil chiller :thumb: )

6498654243_6f55305153_m.jpg

Cooling nicely

6498658623_dbfe835bf8_m.jpg

Airating the wort. (N.B I didn't really need the strainer my home made hop filter did a great job but as I said I was feeling a little paranoid...)

6498666903_b1db0f0670_m.jpg

Yeast Pitched and FV tucked away under the stairs.

OG was 1046 and after 10 days it had gone down to 1016 I left it alone for a couple of days more but it wouldn't budge any more so I racked it off into my King Keg.

Time passes :whistle:

Slowly :whistle:

Very very slowly :whistle: :whistle:

Eventually, after kicking my heels for another month.....
6498752071_dc4ef7a3cb_m.jpg

Looks like beer, smells like beer and tastes.... Bl**dy Gorgeous :D

Even though I say so myself I am mightily impressed. So it's not exactly the TTL I was trying for but what the hell, it's my first attempt and it's even got a big thumbs up from the wife which can only bode well for the future... Now where are the those plans for that home made mash tun... ;)

Finally I'd like to send a massive thank you to all the contributors to these forums. Without whom I would have thought all home brew was like the miserable stuff my dad used to try and make from kits back in the 70's and I wouldn't have had the most enjoyable time I've had for ages. Thanks.

Chris

Congrats on your first brew. I would like to have a go my self, but with living so close to Thwaites i doubt the wife would let me, as the smell from the brewery knocks her sick.

Looks like a lovely pint there, hopemy first kitbrew is as sucessful.

Paul

Congratulations on a cracking brew if it tastes as good as it looks your on a winner....carry on brewing.

BlakenhallBrewer said:
6498649813_82373b8ee4_m.jpg

Chiller in 30 minutes from end of boil (N.B many thanks to Big Yin for the excellent how to on building a twin coil chiller :thumb: )

Very glad it helped you :drink: and it looks like you've done a top job making it :thumb:

Congratulations on your first brew - here's to many more :cheers:

That looks better than my third brew. And you went straight on in with hops and stuff I don't understand (I just used kits).

>Jealous<

:?

Oli.

Looks like you have made a very good start, but there is always plenty more to learn, ;) .
The options are now endless. :D
Happy brewing
S

Latest posts

Back