Filling a cornie

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

retourrbx

Regular.
Reaction score
Just filled my cornie - didn't purge with CO2 as I don't have my gas yet and didn't prime. There were some bubbles on top of the beer once in the keg meaning there was some aeration...

Would it be worth while adding some DME to prime as I have read that this mops up the O2 if there's any there that could cause oxidation issues.

What do you guys think?

Not having any gas, I personally would prime the keg with the DME as soon as possible.
Put it somewhere warm to condition and vent it after 18/24 hours to purge the air with the CO2 created by the referment.

ATB :thumb:

You don't want to aerate now or you'll have a chance of oxidizing.
Aerate before fermentation not after.

I think you misunderstood - I was wondering whether priming the keg would counteract any negative effects from the slight aeration that happened by accident when filling the cornie :thumb:

retourrbx said:
I think you misunderstood - I was wondering whether priming the keg would counteract any negative effects from the slight aeration that happened by accident when filling the cornie :thumb:

No worries as long as you don't go spoiling lovely beer ;)

Sean_Mc said:
retourrbx said:

No worries as long as you don't go spoiling lovely beer ;)

fingers are very crossed :pray:

Active yeast will rapidly mop up any introduced oxygen .. . at the end of fermentation the amount of active yeast in the beer is pretty low (enough for carbonation though) so while you will get carbonation you will also get some oxidation . . . Depending on the beer though this may not show itself for some time.

Pale ales are most susceptible . . . dark beers less so as they contain 'antioxidants' from the dark malts . . .plus they are more robust anyway

Latest posts

Back