Fermzilla vs bucket and king keg

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Laner

Reaction score
Looking for advice from those much more experienced than me..

I’m very space limited, brew and store in my garage, currently bucket fermenting and then bottling ( not yet at the drinking stage ) with no room for a fridge. I’ve toying with the idea of a king keg set up instead of bottling, but then looked at the Fermzilla 27l gen 3.2.

Thinking I could use the fermzilla as an all in one by dumping the trub and then dispensing, down side is only can’t do a new brew until empty but space saving is good. With the King Keg I can dispense but have a new brew on the go when the timing is right, need space for it.

What are your thoughts / advice?

This is for Cider / Lager and possibly Stout.

Another option is to get a corny keg (or a couple) and a CO2 bottle and then you can closed transfer from the Fermzilla to the Corny and free up your Fermzilla. You can even ferment in cornys if you have a mind to. Corny kegs are easy to get second hand and easy to clean and refurbish, parts are cheap - mostly o-rings and seals. And they take up very little space (max 23cm diameter). You can get dispensing taps for the corny so it's an all in one system.

And if you ever get to a stage where you can get a fridge, the cornys fit in neatly.

Think long and hard about how you intend to use the Fermizilla, I bought one a few years ago (so prev gen) and whilst I love it and use it all the time I thought I would be dumping the trub so went for the one with the collection jar, AND bought a second jar to swap over - IN two years I have never dumped the trub, the additional complication of the jar makes it more complex to clean and also prone to getting stuck - So whilst I wasn't planning on dispensing from it I wish I had bought the cheaper round bottom version just for fermentation. Just some thought s

Think long and hard about how you intend to use the Fermizilla, I bought one a few years ago (so prev gen) and whilst I love it and use it all the time I thought I would be dumping the trub so went for the one with the collection jar, AND bought a second jar to swap over - IN two years I have never dumped the trub, the additional complication of the jar makes it more complex to clean and also prone to getting stuck - So whilst I wasn't planning on dispensing from it I wish I had bought the cheaper round bottom version just for fermentation. Just some thought s
+1 to this. I have the all rounder and it's all you'll ever need. If you spend a bit of time getting as little trub as possible from your mash tun, the trub collector is redundant. Never mind the fact that it's so easy to draw only the clear beer from above the trub level with the Fermzila anyway. And that tri-conical Fermzilla looks like a pig to handle or move. Oh, and it's twice the price and holds less.

Another option is to get a corny keg (or a couple) and a CO2 bottle and then you can closed transfer from the Fermzilla to the Corny and free up your Fermzilla. You can even ferment in cornys if you have a mind to. Corny kegs are easy to get second hand and easy to clean and refurbish, parts are cheap - mostly o-rings and seals. And they take up very little space (max 23cm diameter). You can get dispensing taps for the corny so it's an all in one system.

And if you ever get to a stage where you can get a fridge, the cornys fit in neatly.

The Fermzilla, Corny and CO2 bottle is beyond budget…. If I go fermzilla I will be using a sodastream bottle due to space

+1 to this. I have the all rounder and it's all you'll ever need. If you spend a bit of time getting as little trub as possible from your mash tun, the trub collector is redundant. Never mind the fact that it's so easy to draw only the clear beer from above the trub level with the Fermzila anyway. And that tri-conical Fermzilla looks like a pig to handle or move. Oh, and it's twice the price and holds less.

I’m a kit brewer so mash control is not something I need to worry about.. how long is it practical to leave the cider/lager on the trub if dispensing direct from the all rounder?

Apprecaite the info guys 👍

Back