Fermenter

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Could i ask if you need to take it all to pieces every time to clean and sanitise or will running sanitiser through the valves be enough?
I never disassemble the valves. I just clean it all after use with water and a sponge to get rid of the krausen ring. The rest just washes off with ease. Then flush through with sanitiser before use

If you want one and can afford it, I would say go with it. You can take a scrubby to it without any scratches and it's way easier to clean than plastic. Way easier than using a siphon and the drain valve makes it a lot easier to as you expect (I do the same in the Belfast sink as you said you'd do in the bath)

Then flush through with sanitiser before use

Thanks again.

I have always used Milton tablets to sanitise but i have read you shouldn't use them on SS could i ask what you use?

I also noticed in another thread a members said he doesn't sanitise he puts a couple of kettles of boiling water into the fermenter seals it and lets the steam do its thing is that an option?

I have always used Milton tablets to sanitise but i have read you shouldn't use them on SS could i ask what you use?
I use starsan. Probably about half a pint maybe in the bottom. Then put the lid on, stick your thumb over the hole (I ended up buying an additional silicone bung) and shake/invert to wet every surface. Bung the rotating racking arm (it just pulls out) and airlock into the puddle in the bottom. Leave for a few minutes and it's done.

I also noticed in another thread a members said he doesn't sanitise he puts a couple of kettles of boiling water into the fermenter seals it and lets the steam do its thing is that an option?
That would probably do it as well. The boiling water will get the valves etc up to roughly 100 degrees and sanitise it effectively. The steam will probably do a good enough job of the rest (thinner wall).

Another option is to open both valves, invert the whole thing over a boiling pot or kettle for a few minutes and steam it that way

https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/threads/cleaning-fermenter-after-infection.101822/post-1212383

I brewed a saison recently. I don't want the diastaticus yeast to infect the next brew, so I'm giving this a go. More out of curiosity than anything else.

Invert fermenter over the top of a pan of boiling water on the hob. It's pretty damn hot now. Unfortunately the laser thermometer doesn't work on shiny surfaces, so I couldn't verify it got up to 100. Hopefully that should kill anything lurking in any hard to clean bits

View attachment 84222
Like this

I've also inverted the whole fermenter over the kettle for the first 5 minutes if the boil to let the steam do the same thing... But that's less helpful for you if you're brewing wine

Thanks again.

I use Chempro Wash. It's probably overkill as I never let my fermenters get that dirty, but I think it would probably destroy any biofilm that some yeasts and bacteria create. I use bleach on all my plastic equipment and I've also hear that it shouldn't be used on SS. But I think that depends on the formulation of the alloy itself. Still, better safe than sorry as the actress said to the bishop.

Thanks.
I only make wine so I was looking to do it all from start to finish in the FV (no racking etc)
I use one of my fermentasaurus for winemaking.
I don't rack into a separate tank, I can see the yeast settling and once the collection jar is full and some clearing has occurred then I remove and dump 2/3 of the yeast in the bottle. Replace it, add the sod met and degass then add the finings as per the instructions.
I don't wait the 7 days to twist the fermenter just bang the support of the fermentasaurus to move the yeast / fined material down.
This way only lose about 500ml of the batch.
I then transfer out of the bottom using the adapter that screws in and takes a tube rather than siphon out of the top.
Really simple and takes less time overall for the kits than the recommended.

Thanks for the Fermzilla suggestion I have looked at those but the place where I place the FV is limited In height the ss conical I have looked at will jusy fit.

Thanks for the Fermzilla suggestion I have looked at those but the place where I place the FV is limited In height the ss conical I have looked at will jusy fit.
Don't forget to factor in the height of the airlock! 😬
1729577073802.png

Thanks, the height of the fermenter and also with added airlock are given in the details it's quite tight but it will fit.

Last edited:
I'm fermenting in a ss brewtech brew bucket for the last 3 months. I use bar keepers friend and chemsan after it's been rinsed, the only problem it's a bit heavier + a bit of a squeeze my undercounter ferm fridge had to be butchered some & adapted to fit it in, I'm now on the look out for other options maybe a taller fridge

Latest posts

Back