Fermenter

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippy_Tea

Landlord.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I hate bottling with a Syphon and last night I managed to tear the FV plastic lid when I took it off so I am looking for an upgrade I would like something with a decent quality tap that I can attach a tube and my little bottler to I wouldn't mind stainless if it's not silly expensive so can any members recommend something, thanks.

I have been using a plastic pressure barrel as a bottling bucket for several years, works a treat , easy to clean , easy to sanitise, wand just pushes onto tap. I would also suggest it's a lot cheaper than stainless (mine was free a long time ago)

Have you considered doing as I did and make your own? That way you get something that is exactly what you want.
As for bottling and syphoning, I opted for a floating dip tube in my fermenter to transfer my beer (wine in your case). I use a corny post rather than a tap but either will work.

Something like this?

1729520221391.jpeg

Have you considered doing as I did and make your own? That way you get something that is exactly what you want
I am way too lazy and impatient, swmbo has hollow legs so I need a quick turnaround.
Joking aside wine kits are fine my taste buds are not what they used to be so I am happy to share with swmbo after a couple of beers.

I am looking at a SS conical but this is all new to me it has a small tap lower part which has arm on the inside you turn when you want to rack or bottle etc under it it has a big valve which I think it said was 3/4 what is this for?

Last edited:
I am looking at a SS conical but this is all new to me it has a small tap lower part which has arm on the inside you turn when you want to rack or bottle etc under it it has a big valve which I think it said was 3/4 what is this for?
The big valve is a drain valve. It's handy for cleaning as you just open it and everything gushes out of the bottom. Much easier than inverting it a few times during cleaning. You can use it as a yeast dump valve as well, but the sides of the conical aren't tapered with this in mind so half the yeast will stay stuck to the cone.

The dump valve isn't a massive benefit tbh, but I find it helpful (also for draining out sanitiser before filling)

Last edited by a moderator:
The big valve is a drain valve. It's handy for cleaning as you just open it and everything gushes out of the bottom. Much easier than inverting it a few times during cleaning. You can use it as a yeast dump valve as well, but the sides of the conical aren't tapered with this in mind so half the yeast will stay stuck to the cone.

The dump valve isn't a massive benefit tbh, but I find it helpful (also for draining out sanitiser before filling)

Thanks i do like the look of these i wanted one before but went new plastic FV and auto syphon instead and wished i hadn't later.

That big drain valve will make cleaning easy we have a downstairs bathroom so i can stand it in the bath and give it a good swill out with the shower head.

The little racking arm is a nice touch and using a length of tube onto the tap barb and onto the little bottler will make bottling a lot easier.

Could i ask if you need to take it all to pieces every time to clean and sanitise or will running sanitiser through the valves be enough?

Sorry should have explained better -

Do i need to disassemble and clean the valves every time or can i simply run cleaner through them first then sanitise
Yes. The latter. I use mine for beer. I clean with an oxygen-based cleaner. Rinse with MBS solution before using and then pour kettle of boiling water in to rinse.
No need to disassemble the taps- it would probably weaken them.
Haven't actually used one for wine yet, but I've got a 20-23 litre merlot kit on the way, so I'll give one of my SS fermenters a whirl with the wine.

Latest posts

Back