Fermentation Fridge

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Really well with the brewday; got up at 6 yesterday, mashed in by 6.45, no problems with mash temp or boil, nice rolling boil on my portable induction hob, no chill seemed to work okay as well. HOWEVER- I should have set the fridge up as best I could for as soon as pitching temp was reached. Had a big problem as the slatted wooden shoe rack I intended to sit the FV on (with the heater underneath) was very slightly too wide for the fridge, so had to sit the FV on one of the glass shelves instead. As it is only an 11l brew not too heavy thankfully.

After much sweating and cursing managed to get the yeast pitched, FV into the fridge and heater and fridge plugged into Inkbird. I set to ferment at 19c with 0.5 temp differential. I stuck the temp probe inside a bubble wrap pocket and taped pocket to the side of fv. Bungee corded the fridge shut to keep inquisitive toddler out (hopefully) and to maintain tight a seal as possible over the cables for Inkbird and heater. Checked Inkbird this morning and fermenting temp of 19c was exactly the same as measured temp of the wort.

Some lessons learned in terms of being better prepared with new brewing techniques. Annoyed at myself as usually I am meticulous in pre-planning as I don't get much time to brew. Anyway- pleased the fridge appears to be working as it should. Now crossing fingers for the fermentation and that the baby isn't yanking on the bungee cords and getting in there!!
Sounds like its all going to plan so far!

Latest posts

Back