Fermentation Fridge Build

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This sounds to me like the start capacitor has failed. They are usually a cylinder shape with 2 leads leading to the big plastic box on the side of the compressor. If you can find out what it is from the writing on the side then a new one is needed.

Along with a starter coil and contacts, this gives the rotor an extra kick start when turned on, when moving the flux generated powers the starter solenoid and it turns off this extra coil. But if it fails to start then both coils stay energised and nothing turns, until it heats up enough to trip the thermal switch and cut off.

Could also be the starter solenoid on the compressor. I bought both for mine and it was the contacts that were burnt out - probably through cycling too often when it ran out of gas.

To reduce load - put bottles of ice in there to help out, and increase airflow on the condenser coils at the back. - maybe with a fan.

This sounds to me like the start capacitor has failed. They are usually a cylinder shape with 2 leads leading to the big plastic box on the side of the compressor. If you can find out what it is from the writing on the side then a new one is needed.

Along with a starter coil and contacts, this gives the rotor an extra kick start when turned on, when moving the flux generated powers the starter solenoid and it turns off this extra coil. But if it fails to start then both coils stay energised and nothing turns, until it heats up enough to trip the thermal switch and cut off.

Could also be the starter solenoid on the compressor. I bought both for mine and it was the contacts that were burnt out - probably through cycling too often when it ran out of gas.

To reduce load - put bottles of ice in there to help out, and increase airflow on the condenser coils at the back. - maybe with a fan.

Thanks for the advice, it had a PTC relay and overload protector. I watched a few youtube videos and tested resistance of both components plus the compressor, all checked out ok. Have found replacement items online for a few pounds, but if the compressor is seized, I could be wasting my time.

Have found a nearly new replacement fridge locally on ebay for £50. Will have another play tomorrow, then decide what to do.

The small bits are worth a try first before junking it. Seizing on domestic fridges are relatively uncommon. They usually fracture and loose gas, or the caps/ relays gives out.
One last thing if it is slightly seized - give it a kick. :laugh8:

I received the first part this morning, the overload protector, fitted it and once plugged in, the fridge came back to life.

Once again Richie, thanks very much for your advice. :cheers3:

First time using the brew fridge as a brew fridge!
Set to 20.0C withh 2C limit.
Currently have the Red Grape wine in one DJ and started a cider off in another today.
......there is room for 4 DJ's in there!!!! clapa

Back