fermentation airlock bubbling

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the_bing

Reaction score
hey guys

my first brew has been in the FV for 15 days now.

two questions:

1. how long in between bubbles in the airlock counts as 'not longer bubbling'? its still going now, but a lot lot slower...

2. is it ok to leave the beer in the FV (for a week or so) after fermenting or does it HAVE to be transferred to another container straightaway?

muchas gracias hombres

I wouldn't go by the airlock, use a hydrometer.

A couple of weeks in the fv is fine, I have done 3 weeks without racking to another fv and it was fine. Having said that, after 15 days in the fv it's probably done but you really need a hydrometer reading :thumb:

get hydrometer reading if thee same over 2 days its ready to go
usually around FG1.010

what i do is sanitise me hydrometer and the fermenters lid rim HANDS tear it open a bit put your hydrometer in and check that way

a couple o weeks is fine in you fermenter

I have put a coopers australian pale ale on to brew at 2am on wednesday morning and i havent had one bubble in my airlock,a layer of foam leaving a browny/grey scum clinging to side of FV now as we speak all the foam on top has disappeared and the liquid is getting a lighter colour and the tiny bubbles that have been moving from bottom to top are not moving as quickly now,no doubt i have air escaping,is this a problem and without airlock working how will i know when the pale ale is ready for bottling?

No problem. The lids on fv's don't fit particularly well. But don't worry about things getting in, as the Co2 coming out will protect it.

Matt

MattN said:
No problem. The lids on fv's don't fit particularly well. But don't worry about things getting in, as the Co2 coming out will protect it.

Matt

but some do

just cought this before it was going to :electric:

Where did I put that blow off tube :doh: I think that I would have that standing in the bath... not on a bit of foam!

This happened to me with 23 ltrs of red wine, and the Mrs insists that futer brews stay in the bath/sink/tub for the first 48 hours. I said... 'ok then' :oops:

MattN said:
Where did I put that blow off tube :doh: I think that I would have that standing in the bath... not on a bit of foam!

This happened to me with 23 ltrs of red wine, and the Mrs insists that futer brews stay in the bath/sink/tub for the first 48 hours. I said... 'ok then' :oops:
couldn't do that in the back ground you can see me other fermenter me bath was full of bottles conditioning int warm bath
and me other fermenter was in me beer fridge :shock:
and yes this got a big blow off tube attached promptly :drink:

nobyipa said:
MattN said:

Matt

but some do

just cought this before it was going to :electric:
This is especially impressive since you've stuck the FV (and the mug) to the wall.

Latest posts

Back