extension leads

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rickthebrew

Landlord.
Reaction score
ok so my new plastic boiler is finished and I`m ready for my first brew in her, however I need a new extension lead can I run both elements of a twin extension lead or am I better of running two extensions from seperate plugs? I only have one single socket lead that was fine with my old boiler - so what is best to use?

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.jsp?a ... earch=true

will i blow it all up running both elements through something like this :nono:

please bear in mind that a double wall socket does not mean each one can give 13a it should only be 13a per double socket
i hope this makes sense
so you will need 2 different leads from 2 different locations

so two seperate wall sockets in my kitchen with two extension leads should be OK?
as long as its not raining :shock:

rickthebrew said:
so two seperate wall sockets in my kitchen with two extension leads should be OK?
as long as its not raining :shock:
Yep, take 2 leads from seperate sockets on the ring, not the same double socket, also make sure that the cable is fully unwound or you could find that drawing 10Amps through the reel will melt the cable - you don't want that mid boil.
as long as the sockets are inside you should'nt have problems with rain.

darrenwest1 said:
please bear in mind that a double wall socket does not mean each one can give 13a it should only be 13a per double socket
i hope this makes sense
Why is this so when they are both on the same fuse?
I've never seen a government health warning to this effect!
I'm not doubting you, but would appreciate some clarification.

evanvine said:
darrenwest1 said:
i hope this makes sense
Why is this so when they are both on the same fuse?
I've never seen a government health warning to this effect!
I'm not doubting you, but would appreciate some clarification.

It seems daft but true, A double socket (bs1363) is rated at 13A Total, yes there will be a factor of safty etc, but the total load for a double socket should not exceed 13A, and some of the cheaper sockets on the market are only just able to handle this, I've lost count of the number of double sockets i've seen that have heat damage on them where there located behind the washer and dryer.
A Ring main has a circuit braker of 30Amp bs1361, or 32A en60898, this fuse protect the cables not the appliances, the appliances are protected by the plug top fuse.

I feed 2 kettle elements from one double socket in't shed, done about 20 brews like this, cable gets slightly warm but nothing dangerous! ;)

My tuppence worth is:

Use two differant wall sockets and 2m wall paper steamer leads rated at 13 amps for hot conditions.

It's better to be safe than sorry.

Any house insurance will go up in smoke otherwise.

It's not worth taking the risk.

This is one of the reasons I've resisted selling electric powered breweries.

Latest posts

Back