Dunkel / Dark Lager

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marshbrewer

Out on the marshes, wailing at the moon.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm planning way ahead here (I seem to have a 'queue' of beers I need to brew :D ), but while I was researching and reading about lager, I came across 'Dunkel', dark lager. I know it is sometimes used to refer to dark wheat beer, but it's the dark, barley based stuff I'm refering to here. I was telling my old man about this, and he pointed out that when he and I went to Russia in the late 90's, that was what I found and fell in love with, i.e. kept drinking shed loads of. :)

Anyway, given that I'm still at the kit brewing stage, what do people think I would end up with if I brewed up a Coopers European Lager kit with a 1.5kg tin of Coopers Dark Malt Extract, using the proper lager yeast supplied with the kit? An approximation, or a disaster?

Hi...we have a little thing in common....Dunkels..

Have you ever had a Pelforth Brune?? to me 7th heaven...
I've done a lot of hunting on the t'internet and never found a recipe for it..I have found out a few things about it...and I'm in the middle of putting a recipe together that is close in SRM/IBU/& Alcohol..what it'll taste like..who knows??? but you've "just gora do what a guys gora do". If I can come close to it I'll be a happy bunny... :pray: :pray:

Back