Does any other brewers go through phases of the beers being brewed are not want they wany anymore?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You won't get IBUs from a dry hop, but IBUs only tell a part of the story anyway.

I wonder if there is something about eh character of the bitterness from Motueka that you're finding unpleasant, despite its modest AA percentage.
It is pointing to the Motueka seeing as they are in all the beers.
I think I may have a packet or 2 left so I will open them tomorrow and give them a smell etc to divulge if they have any off smells and may put some in hot water and do a equivalent with another hop for a bitterness comparison if that makes sense.
I am coming to the thoughts that the Motueka punching more bitterness than IBU's are showing

You definitely get bitterness, but it doesn't add to the measurable IBUs. I was more making the point that the IBU numbers don't really give you the full picture. Isomerisation isn't the only way you get bitterness, as the links you've shared point out.

You can brew a NEIPA with no hot side hops and you'll still get bitterness, but technically it'll be "zero" IBUs.

I think I may have a packet or 2 left so I will open them tomorrow and give them a smell etc to divulge if they have any off smells and may put some in hot water and do a equivalent with another hop for a bitterness comparison if that makes sense.
I am coming to the thoughts that the Motueka punching more bitterness than IBU's are showing

I think the latter point might be it. Be it co-humulone levels, or indeed just a quality of bitterness that you don't like.

I'm sure the hops themselves will be better absolutely fine.

I think we all have a hop that we find jarring. I used to love Mosaic and Sabro, but both have changed (to my palate anyway) over the years, and I find Mosaic tastes like fusel alcohol, and Sabro has taken on an unpleasant woodiness rather than the delicate tropical coconut thing it had when it was first released.

Last edited:
I have just done a basic APA with 100g of El Dorado in the whirlpool just to test the hops.
Ps had no Motueka left so at least that possible problem eradicated

About 2 weeks ish hopefully sooner I may dip in before it's fully finished just to get a idea.
In fact it is a SMASH except for 200g of carapils so proper basic brew and changed the yeast, I know you will not like this Mash but can you guess what yeast I have used?

Last edited:
Next up a Taiheke smash with 150g.
Supposed to be Us Cascade grown in NZ.
Brulosophy did this one and said it impressed as a single lets just see if bitterness levels are ok in these 2 brews.
I will get to the bottom of this issue me is thinking that Motueka is throwing a bitterness I and the wife do not like along with maybe too large a hop-ing schedule in some of them.
I have scrubbed and cleaned scrupulous and under egged the El Dorado on hops. it may not be that fruity but need to reset and go from there

Next up a Taiheke smash with 150g.
Supposed to be Us Cascade grown in NZ.
Brulosophy did this one and said it impressed as a single lets just see if bitterness levels are ok in these 2 brews.
I will get to the bottom of this issue me is thinking that Motueka is throwing a bitterness I and the wife do not like along with maybe too large a hop-ing schedule in some of them.
I have scrubbed and cleaned scrupulous and under egged the El Dorado on hops. it may not be that fruity but need to reset and go from there

I've just brewed a nz pale ale with Taiheke and Motueka, I've found it quite 'woody' which isn't a bad thing but it wasn't quite what I was expecting.

Going back to your first page, I have at times had to go back to tried and tested recipes, I had a run of poor beers which put me off a bit and had to find my mojo again. American IPA's have always been a mystery to me, too bitter, not bitter enough, oxidised you name it, I can't get it right.

Generally, I love NZ hops. But I made a single-hop pale ale with Moutère and I didn't like the flavour at all. Nothing wrong with the beer, but I'll use the rest of the moutère for bittering.

I have just done in the last 4 weeks 2 brews using crisps best ale malt and Tropical England hops from CML, the first i did a 10g bittering addition and 180g at 15 minutes and midland yeast, the day after i did the same brew with no bittering and 200g at 10 minutes which i left in the hop bag until it got down to pitching temp, the difference in bitterness is night and day, the are both good ales and very drinkable, but number 2 is really nice

I like tropical England but it does not punch quite enough for me in a IPA but it makes a lovely Pale Ale though, easy drinking and summer like

Just about to make a tropical England.
Hi An i am drinking one at the moment acheers.
IMG_2146.jpeg

Hi AA I have found it to be quite fruity and tropical but obviously subdued compared to the American and New World hops so use a little more than you would expect.
It does make a lovely summer drink/lawn mower beer.
I have used it also for the hops in a fruit beer(fruit added like mango)

Hi AA I have found it to be quite fruity and tropical but obviously subdued compared to the American and New World hops so use a little more than you would expect.
It does make a lovely summer drink/lawn mower beer.
I have used it also for the hops in a fruit beer(fruit added like mango)
A 6% abv lawnmower beer? I've clearly become soft in the balmy backwaters of sunny Brittany.

Now that my LHBS is no more & it's a two hour round trip to the (now) nearest I'm ordering online. Ironically(?) from the very same not so LHBS! Even if I pay postage it's cheaper than driving over to collect.

Anyhow, that means I order enough for about 5 brews which lasts me a good six months. Sometimes, the last brew will be 'modified' because what I'd originally got planned isn't what I now want!

For example - I've an imminent batch that was planned to be a Porter. However, I've decided that I'm off Porters at the moment so it's now become a best bitter (basically by dropping the brown & carafa).

Back