Do I add my cider flavours in primary or secondary fermentation?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

monkeybutler

Reaction score
Hi there.

I made my first cider a little while ago. It was really nice dry, in fact I was surprised how nice, but I tried back sweetening it and I think I might’ve got a bit sloppy because it turned out tasting sour and yeasty. Anyway I’ve decided i’d prefer to make a simple dry cider this time but perhaps make two batches to experiment with flavouring in one.

I was thinking of using four litres apple juice to one litre pomegranate juice (or whatever other flavour I can get.) I have seen some people say the primary fermentation can take away some of the flavours. Would I have more success if I fermented the apple juice first and then added the pomegranate juice after? With my batch of apple cider will it taste more appley if I ferment four litres first and then add some extra apple juice at the end, even if this starts up fermentation again?

Thanks!

Adding apple juice later will just make it start fermenting again.
I used to work for a (quite well known) cider maker, and we developed a really good cider by adding apple juice to cider, pastuerising it, then kegging it. We also made several flavoured ciders, but, the flavouring was always added after fermentation...

Adding apple juice later will just make it start fermenting again.
I used to work for a (quite well known) cider maker, and we developed a really good cider by adding apple juice to cider, pastuerising it, then kegging it. We also made several flavoured ciders, but, the flavouring was always added after fermentation...
I made a strong apple and pear cider with juice and sugar and stopped fermentation with sorbate and metabisuphate and then added a litre of apple and pear juice back to it. It was one of the nicest ciders I've made.

I made a strong apple and pear cider with juice and sugar and stopped fermentation with sorbate and metabisuphate and then added a litre of apple and pear juice back to it. It was one of the nicest ciders I've made.

That’s exactly what I tried with my first batch, except without the pear, but it tasted really bad. I assume something must’ve got in at some point when I was adding the extra juice or taking the hydrometer reading.

I primed a cider with raspberry Lowicz juice the once which turned out quite nice, but blimey they were a bit lively when I opened them and think I overdid the amount I put in.

I primed a cider with raspberry Lowicz juice the once which turned out quite nice, but blimey they were a bit lively when I opened them and think I overdid the amount I put in.
I find 1/3 - 1/2 a bottle of Lowicz will prime a 25l pressure barrel. I also add a full bottle to the primary and it does make a nice cider.

I did it with a Calpol syringe into each bottle but can't remember how much I added now. Either way it was a tad too much😀

Latest posts

Back