Distaster brewery 40 litre plastic build.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i cut the switch off the element and i robbed 2 old plastic lids off ms31's hair spray fits perfect just cut hol in the baqck to push cable through

Just wondering if anyones got an opinion still on whether the elements will be better below or above the hop screen.

I'm thinking below so it will be easier to remove the screen and possibly wrapping some piping round the edge to make it wider and thus higher in the copper.

Any advice is welcome.

You restrict circulation of wort . . . the wort under the false bottom boils . . . and eventually this lifts the hop screen producing a volcano effect of foaming bubbling wort . . . don't ask how I know. . . . False bottom below elements.

Well put the first element in high in the copper and it really struggled. took about an hour to get to rolling but with a massive cold spot under the hop filter.
I decided to cut the edges off this and so lower it right to the bottom of the cfopper and put a syphon tube into it. I'll drill another hole and put the other element in there today, much lower than the first, hopefully and im pretty certain it should hit a roll fast and hard.

I did notice however the last 2 times i used the extension lead to boil with. one with the old system and again with this new one. the plug got very hot and actually slightly melted the extension socket slightly. i really dont wanna be starting fires and its just getting way too hot. is this due to using the extension cable or the wrong kind of plug or what?

oh yeah i also broke my old immersion chiller apart and have almost converted it into a counter flow wort chiller. almost all the connections are in place, its just a matter of getting a blowtorch and soldering it up tight.

Really cant wait to get brewing, its been about a month since i started the refurb and my supplies are running low.

Latest posts

Back