Deuchars IPA

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MartialAnt

Reaction score
Morecambe (famous for cockles, more famous for coc
AS you asked Wez

Deuchars IPA - im not taking the glory for this recipe. I got it from Booldawg.

For 23L

4010g Maris Otter
310g Torrified Wheat
250g Crystal Malt
55g Fuggles. (60 mins)
15g Aurora (10 mins)
85g Aurora (after switch off, once 80C has been reached)

60 min mash at 67C

The flame off hops next time im going to use in a hop bag then i can put them into the FV with the wort. I think its a bit of a waste 85g being steeped for that amount of time. At £6.99 im gonna get the most out of em. Might make this again tomorrow if im bored. If/when i get my bar built it'll be on tap permanently. Aurora is so god damn moreish.

MartialAnt said:
AS you asked Wez

Deuchars IPA - im not taking the glory for this recipe. I got it from Booldawg.

For 23L

4010g Maris Otter
310g Torrified Wheat
250g Crystal Malt
55g Fuggles. (60 mins)
15g Aurora (10 mins)
85g Aurora (after switch off, once 80C has been reached)

60 min mash at 67C

The flame off hops next time im going to use in a hop bag then i can put them into the FV with the wort. I think its a bit of a waste 85g being steeped for that amount of time. At £6.99 im gonna get the most out of em. Might make this again tomorrow if im bored. If/when i get my bar built it'll be on tap permanently. Aurora is so god damn moreish.

Hi MA
Did you put the 85g of hops in at the start of fermentation, if yes, Is that an O.K thing to do??

JOHN

BarnsleyBrewer said:
Did you put the 85g of hops in at the start of fermentation, if yes, Is that an O.K thing to do??
I didnt do it with the D-IPA but i have done it since with other brews. I will be brewing this weekend. Too busy till then. So i'll put the 85g's in the FV then i'll do the pepsi challenge with one of the bottles ive already got.
I bought a bottle of Deuchars from a shop. Yes i actually bought one. Gonna do the pepsi challenge some time soon with the 2.

ps
I dont see there being a problem with doing it. Just same as dry hopping the FV.

MartialAnt said:
BarnsleyBrewer said:
I didnt do it with the D-IPA but i have done it since with other brews. I will be brewing this weekend. Too busy till then. So i'll put the 85g's in the FV then i'll do the pepsi challenge with one of the bottles ive already got.
I bought a bottle of Deuchars from a shop. Yes i actually bought one. Gonna do the pepsi challenge some time soon with the 2.

ps
I dont see there being a problem with doing it. Just same as dry hopping the FV.

Might give that a whirl Ant... I brew 9 gallon batches now in 2 wine fermenters, works fine if I want to fill 2 cornies.
I might ferment with the hops in one and not bother with the other to see how big a difference it makes.

John

Fermenting nicely, added 25g of Aurora hops into each 20L fementer today. I'll bottle first lot after 5 days dry hopping and keg the rest a week later!

Had a cheeky taste today, first impression...Mmm...V.Good :D

John

If you 'dry hop' in the fermenter before the yeast has settled out, the yeast will cling to the hop compounds you're trying to add, and drag a lot to the bottom with it as it sediments, removing it from your beer. That problem is less with secondary fermention chambers or holding tanks because there's less yeast. Perhaps the most efficient way of getting more hop aroma for your dollar is to dry hop in the keg, if you do keg.

My two penneth from a recent podcast.

SiHoltye said:
If you 'dry hop' in the fermenter before the yeast has settled out, the yeast will cling to the hop compounds you're trying to add, and drag a lot to the bottom with it as it sediments, removing it from your beer. That problem is less with secondary fermention chambers or holding tanks because there's less yeast. Perhaps the most efficient way of getting more hop aroma for your dollar is to dry hop in the keg, if you do keg.

My two penneth from a recent podcast.

Your right, it did. :clap:
I'll not do it again!

John

Back