Dettol Surface Cleanser as sanitizer??

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mjt1990

Reaction score
hi guys.......new to brewing so alittle unsure of things but i just wanted to know if Dettol Surface Cleanser can be used as a sanitizer? it says it kills 99.9% or germs and stuff and also its no rinse and safe on food and cooking sufaces so didnt know if it would be ok for my fv??

Welcome to th forum mjt
I think you would have to wash the FV out thoroughly after steralising
just a thought but it may kill the yeast

mjt1990 said:
i just wanted to know if Dettol Surface Cleanser can be used as a sanitizer? it says it kills 99.9% or germs and stuff and also its no rinse and safe on food and cooking sufaces so didnt know if it would be ok for my fv??
NO!While it will do the job of killing germs it will also taint anything you put in the FV. Use a commercial product that is designed for the job, it's more certain in the long run.

**** NO! Here in AU we use it to kill Cane Toads :lol:

Seriously the flavour/aroma would be the problem. Get yourself some Iodophor or Phosphoric Acid (try a dairy farmer if you live in the country or dairy supplies) or some Starsan (a US product). These when mixed to the correct concentration with water make a no rinse sanitiser with no discernable flavour.

Cheers,

Screwy

LOL, i had a feeling we sold phosphoric at work for poisoning bunnies... had to check, it was actually phostoxin. :roll:

I'm sure i have seen it on some rust treatment though?

cheers guys....i suppose being a noob im entitled to 1 stupid idea. i think i'll go with star san, i've been reading up about it and it sounds pretty good. thanks for the advice

Aleman said:
mjt1990 said:
i just wanted to know if Dettol Surface Cleanser can be used as a sanitizer? it says it kills 99.9% or germs and stuff and also its no rinse and safe on food and cooking sufaces so didnt know if it would be ok for my fv??
NO!While it will do the job of killing germs it will also taint anything you put in the FV. Use a commercial product that is designed for the job, it's more certain in the long run.

Oh Oh. Ive started to use the Detol Surface Wipes to wipe my thermometer probe, Stirer & Hydrometer before use. Is this OK. I do sterilize all my other equipment with a Thin bleach solution at 25ml per 5lts of water.

Latest posts

Back