Demerara sugar in coopers lager kits

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dermy

Reaction score
Hi,

Has anyone tried replacing brewing sugar or DME with demerara sugar..totally or partially?

I want to try soemthing different and think demerara sugar might be an idea?
....or is there a really good reason why I shouldn't do this??!
All thoughts and opinions welcome,

Cheers.

No reason whatsoever...

...not entirely sure what result you'll get but it will work perfectly well. I would imagine that a darker sugar like demerara will leave some interesting flavour notes and will give you a darker beer.

If you are looking for something a bit different, give it a whirl! That's what brewing's all about.

Dermy, I'm thinking of doing a dark lager beer of sorts so your idea of demerara sugar might be worth trying for this too. Probably a mix with Dark DME. Would be interested to here your results.

Gary
[email protected]

garylewis1966 said:
Dermy, I'm thinking of doing a dark lager beer of sorts so your idea of demerara sugar might be worth trying for this too. Probably a mix with Dark DME. Would be interested to here your results.

Gary
[email protected]
medium dried malt extract is what you'd be best with for a dark lager , and Demerara sugar will ferment out like cane suger but with mellow/sweet flavour and is often used in English ales :cheers:

Back