Dechlorinating Tap Water

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Verb77

Reaction score
How do I dechlorinate tap water before brewing... I have been told about Campden Tablets. Is this right... Are they the best and quantities should I use and at what stage should I use them??????

Thanks

Carl
:drunk:

Use half a camden tablet in 5 gallons. Make sure it's dissolved in to the water before doing anything else with it.

I only know this through my father..he had 122 fish tanks and imported marine/ tropical fish as a livelyhood but as I understand it, if you leave tap water to simply stand for 24 hours the chlorine will escape naturally. It's held in the water as a liquid form whilst under pressure, and once it's been released from your tap the pressure is gone so it comes back out of the water as a gas in bubble form.
To prove this try this little trick, get a glass of tap water and let it rest overnight etc, then you'll notice that there's bubbles formed on the glass' walls. Seal the top of the glass with your hand and then tap the glass on a worksurface etc and you'll see the bubbles rise to the top; then sniff them and you'll get a big whiff of chlorine.

So, as I understand it just let it rest for 24 hours out of the tap to get rid of it.

PS: Blame my dad if I'm wrong!

carlsbrew said:
I only know this through my father..he had 122 fish tanks and imported marine/ tropical fish as a livelyhood but as I understand it, if you leave tap water to simply stand for 24 hours the chlorine will escape naturally. It's held in the water as a liquid form whilst under pressure, and once it's been released from your tap the pressure is gone so it comes back out of the water as a gas in bubble form.
To prove this try this little trick, get a glass of tap water and let it rest overnight etc, then you'll notice that there's bubbles formed on the glass' walls. Seal the top of the glass with your hand and then tap the glass on a worksurface etc and you'll see the bubbles rise to the top; then sniff them and you'll get a big whiff of chlorine.

So, as I understand it just let it rest for 24 hours out of the tap to get rid of it.

PS: Blame my dad if I'm wrong!
Your dad is only partly correct I am afraid ;)
Chloramines are now used in preference to gaseous chlorine for cost and health and safety reasons ;)
Standing or even boiling will not remove them :(
Using campden tablets will :thumb:

I've checked as best I can and it seems in the UK where I live they don't use chloramines however some water authorities do. I think certain aquatic sites are trying to put together a map to show folks what the water's like where they live. If I can find a link I'll post it up on here.

There is a post on here that shows just how long it takes to remove chlorine from the water.

If you just stand the water the half life is something like 23 hours
If you aerate the half life is something like 10-15 hours
If you boil the half life is something like 3 hours

If you add a campden tablet the effect is instantaneous.

For Brewing beer the answer is obvious.

For fishkeeping . . . fit a carbon filter ;)

Thanks for that info guys, truly amazing the amount of first rate stuff to be found on this forum. I have been doing AG brewing for over 5 years with good results, my mates say that as well as me, self praise is no recommendation, :) but the stuff I have picked up on here this last month, should put me up a notch. :D
I have been pondering the chorines thing for some time, easy when someone tells you :D
Keep up the good work. :cheers:

Back