Dead space?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi
Could someone explaine dead space to me in a language that makes sence, I’ve just purchased a Klarstein mash kettle and I’m trying to work out what it is so I know what I’m doing! 🙄

What rwilts said.

The reason it's important is that there are general guidelines for "liquor to grist ratio". Ie, how thick or sloppy your mash is (as it impacts mash pH, enzyme activity etc etc).

If you want a liquor to grist ratio of 2.5 (say) then you need 2.5 litres of liquor (water) for each kilo of grain.

So say your recipe is 5kg of grain. You'd want 12.5L of liquor to get the intended thickness of mash.

But if there is a "dead space" of 3L below the grain basket (as Rwilts says) then you want to actually add 12.5+3=15.5L of liquor to your 5kg of grain to get the intended mash thickness.

What rwilts said.

The reason it's important is that there are general guidelines for "liquor to grist ratio". Ie, how thick or sloppy your mash is (as it impacts mash pH, enzyme activity etc etc).

If you want a liquor to grist ratio of 2.5 (say) then you need 2.5 litres of liquor (water) for each kilo of grain.

So say your recipe is 5kg of grain. You'd want 12.5L of liquor to get the intended thickness of mash.

But if there is a "dead space" of 3L below the grain basket (as Rwilts says) then you want to actually add 12.5+3=15.5L of liquor to your 5kg of grain to get the intended mash thickness.
Bit how do I know what that space is?

Measure it by pouring water into the vessel until it reaches the basket, you will also need to know your boil off measurement, boil say 10 litres of water for 30 minutes, let it cool measure what you have left for instance if it's 8 litres, you have lost 2 litres in 30 minutes then boil off is 4 litres/hour. Loss to grain absorption is another measurement you will need to know along with loss to kettle, loss to grain absorption start off with 1litre per kilo and adjust as you become familiar with your set up. Loss to kettle is as Sadfield mentioned the dead space below the tap without tilting.
When determining your liquor to grist ratio keep in mind while thick mashes favour proteolytic activity, thinner mashes favour carbohydrase activity giving better efficiency.

Sometimes you can Google it or someone on the forum will have posted it. Brewfather might have a preset for it (I don't use it).

If not, pour water into the klarstein until it comes up to the bottom of the grain basket. Then measure that volume of water with a measuring jug etc.

Hi
Could someone explaine dead space to me in a language that makes sence, I’ve just purchased a Klarstein mash kettle and I’m trying to work out what it is so I know what I’m doing! 🙄
Dead space, as The Wise One is so fond of pointing out, is that expanse of infinite Space between my left and right ears, above the upper mandible and immediately below the old Barnet. Unlike much of space, it is not a complete vacuum, being occupied with alcoholic fumes, dreams, fleeting memories and a depth of philosphical wisdom far exceeding its capacity. :laugh8::laugh8::laugh8::laugh8:

my vevor aio (which is the knockoff of the klarstein) has a whopping 7.2 liters of dead space. it takes afew brews to figure out how much the boil off rate is how much the dead space is and how much the leftover is with the trub after the run off. i find the dead space doesnt matter that much. neither does any of the water calculations in my view. the way i look at it . 10 lbs of grain is 10 lbs of grain. it will get you where you want to be asa long as you dont sparge to much. thats where i usually dilute my wort too much and can miss my gravity. when i over sprage and have to much water in there before the boil. after all a lot on here just do no sparge and have all the water in there to begin with.

i have also kind of noticed that after several brerws on a system you kind of get the feel for it. i can make beer now almost by eyeing it out. in terms of grain water. i will soon stop weighing grains. 2 cups of base malt seems to always weigh the same regardless of brand or base malt. - sorry 2 IMPERIAL cups . i was scolded once here for not clarifying. lol

I have a Fullhorn.
Recently upgraded to a big 35l Maishfest.

I'm going to go back to the Fullhorn.
It never got blocked, I could lift the grain bag out - which I can't with the Maishfest, the malt pipe is too heavy & too high, even when I use rope & pulley, it's too high to fit in my brewing marquee.
I can't use a bazooka on it either as the malt pipe sits too low

Latest posts

Back