De-cholrinating Water

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

periolus

Landlord.
Reaction score
Okay - so last time I brewed Wherry, it had a slight background taste of TCP, which apparently is a by-product of a reaction between chloramine and other parts of the brewing process.

So, how do I treat my water to remove the chlorinating agent before adding it to the contents of my kit?

All advice gratefully received!

you could take it further and buy an alkilinity testing kit and view your water report by your local water company. When you have all the figures just put the results in to the forum calculators and they will tell you what you have to add :D

mark1964 said:
you could take it further and buy an alkilinity testing kit and view your water report by your local water company. When you have all the figures just put the results in to the forum calculators and they will tell you what you have to add :D
Irrelevant for brewing kit beers!!! 1/2 a campden tablet in 5 Gallons of water . . . . Before you add the kit extract!! is more than enough .

I use an inline charcoal filter for my water supply but any problems I have experienced came from sterilising with WVP and not rinsing the vessels properly afterwards.Be especially careful when using chlorine based products in your airlocks A Swiss homebrewer told me to rinse everything four times and since then I have had no problems.
Hope this is of help
Ian

Back