Crossmyloof

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree. We don't know how much this business made. People are just pontificating and willy waving.

If the average order was £150 and there was a 20% profit margin, that would be £330k. I'm sure there's definitely some profit in those numbers. I mean, not millionaire type numbers, but a healthy living.

If they were supplying trade, then we'd probably be talking 4 or 5 times that amount.

i am just outside Inverness, we are treated as if we live on the islands...sometimes its 20 or 30 quid additional charge for delivery...only other company that is reasonable..£7.95 is Homebrew company in Ireland..so thats where i will go to now...its strange though as mainland supplies delivery are more expensive than one from what is in effect over the water...should add i tend to buy in bulk so tend to make orders up to 30kg or so

Why? What are you basing that on? Can't he have got tired and got a job that pays better... With more time for brewing.
No. I am basing it on the conversation I had with him last week. Basically putting his feet up, brewing and enjoying family time, amongst other hobbies. Can't fault it.

Looking
Companies House might provide an insight.
Small company so you only get a balance sheet - around £25k of gross assets, say a tonne of hops and some yeast, £15k net. You could probably get an idea of gross margins looking at selling prices and plausible wholesale prices for hops. But in general retail is not easy, particularly of something like hops where they have a shelf life.

Without wanting to speculate too much, the fact that he's starting to wind down the business 6 months before his 55th birthday rather suggests he's got a good pension from somewhere that he can start taking from age 55.

But in general retail is not easy, particularly of something like hops where they have a shelf life.
Indeed. Having read many a post where people state their recent CML orders, usually for one or two packs of hops and yeast, and the fact CML previously dropped the idea of selling malt, I'm struggling to see it being the cash cow others do, I terms of being a business to purchase. Essentially the customer database being it's main asset.

No. I am basing it on the conversation I had with him last week. Basically putting his feet up, brewing and enjoying family time, amongst other hobbies. Can't fault it.
Absolutely can't fault it, but doesn't mean he "made his money" with this business. If he did I am prepared to be surprised.

He could have won the lottery.. 🤣🤣
Genuinely not having a go, just we don't know what we don't know.

@Northern_Brewer 55. Pension. Good shout. Tbh more likely than the lottery 👍

Last edited:
This forum baffles me at times. A message to inform members that CML are closing down so the owners can retire, after a couple of "i wish them all the best messages" the usual suspects show up and cause an argument out of nothing spoiling yet another thread, this time getting upset because someone's else's speculation differs from their own 🙄

I agree a fantastic service has been provided by CML and it is being dismantled and speculated about without good reason.
Let them do what they want and lets just appreciate what they have done for most members

I agree a fantastic service has been provided by CML and it is being dismantled and speculated about without good reason.
Except it isn't. It was speculated that it would be a good business to purchase, which is an entirely different train of thought. Both can run concurrently.

Latest posts

Back