Covid

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I read this a moment ago and it reminded me that one of our small team has this week come back to work after being hit for six by COVID fortunately he works alone so there was little risk he passed it on to any of his colleagues, are we seeing the return of COVID as it was widely predicted do you know anyone that has caught it recently?

Due to getting Covid could not attend the funeral of a friend going back to 1961 so am toasting him with a couple starting with an Oakham Citra with a picturesque backdrop.

I think there is more than is getting reported Chippy both me and the wife had a very serious flu type illness that took weeks to get over which we were convinced it was the new strain as all the symptoms we had ticked the boxes.
The doctors do not seem to test for it so often so probably a lot more out there.

I had it at the beginning of June and several folk at work have had it since then. Thankfully, it was a mild strain and passed in a few days.

I had it then too. Wiped me out for a couple of days.

Seeing lots of it with patients , but nowhere near as bad as it was a couple of years ago, thankfully. It's never gone away.

I read this a moment ago and it reminded me that one of our small team has this week come back to work after being hit for six by COVID fortunately he works alone so there was little risk he passed it on to any of his colleagues, are we seeing the return of COVID as it was widely predicted do you know anyone that has caught it recently?
I don't know anyone still testing. Do they still sell them. I threw ours when the date run out.

Do you think the old test kits will test the new strain-FLIRT?

I never bothered testing when I had what I had it seems pointless it is what it is

We used to get boxes of test kits at work free so everyone tested now all the public have to pay for them no one is testing unless they are very ill so people are going into work thinking they have a cold and are passing it to everyone else.

We used to get boxes of test kits at work free so everyone tested now all the public have to pay for them no one is testing unless they are very ill so people are going into work thinking they have a cold and are passing it to everyone else.
If the symptoms are similar to a cold then that's OK. People can live and function normally with a cold.

If the symptoms are similar to a cold then that's OK. People can live and function normally with a cold.

When i got COVID it was near the end when numbers were dropping i didn't even know i had it i had no symptoms and only tested because my SWMBO was rough and tested positive, my test was positive so i stayed off work if it hadn't been for the test i would have been totally unware and would have gone into work and given it to everyone else i contacted and they may not have been so lucky.

we started to see an uptick about 2 weeks ago here in the states on the east coast. but its pretty mild.

My day job is cleaning, my wife has nurses coming into our home every day due to long standing illness, so our place is essentially the germ nexus of the known universe.

To put a basic question terribly bluntly, how comes we don't got the covid?

I mean, none of us are sickly folk, we have kids (youngest 13) but shouldn't it be rife? Or is it (at risk of starting an argument here, not my intent!) a complete none starter like the first 'plague'?

Are you feeling grotty all the time this summer?​

We are in a summer wave of Covid so if you have a cough or fever then the virus is a possible culprit.
We do not collect the same detailed data as during the peak of the pandemic, but the wave started to build around May, external.
“I know so many people who have recently had Covid,” says Prof Peter Openshaw, from Imperial College London.
Around 3,000 people in hospital are now testing positive for Covid - around twice the figure for early April. The infection isn't necessarily the reason they have been admitted, but it is one way of gauging whether we are in a wave.
“There is a very significant rise, Covid hasn’t yet turned into a winter virus we can be very confident in saying that," says Prof Openshaw.
This seems to be driven by the FLiRT variants of the virus and pubs rammed with football fans may have given the virus a helping hand too.
The virus is still capable of causing an unpleasant infection and while we are no longer taking emergency measures to keep it in check, we are giving two doses of vaccine a year to the most vulnerable because of the threat it can pose.

Whooping Cough

We have also seen the resurgence of whooping cough – also known as the 100-day cough or pertussis – in 2024.
There is an outbreak of the bacterial infection every three-to-five years, but the last one was in 2016.
So there probably should have been an outbreak during the peak-pandemic years.
The UK Health Security Agency warns, external: “The impact of the pandemic also means there is reduced immunity in the population.”
The symptoms are similar to a cold with a runny nose and sore throat which evolves into bouts of coughing, which can last a long time, hence the 100-day nickname.
Anyone can catch whooping cough, but it is generally mild in adults. The problem is they can pass it onto babies who are highly vulnerable. Nine have died this year from the disease.
It is why newborn vaccines and the pregnancy vaccine for whooping cough (which passes protective antibodies onto the baby while still in the womb) are so important, but…

More vulnerable to infection

Another idea is that even if there was no change to the bugs circulating, we have become more susceptible to them because our overall health is ropey after austerity, a pandemic and a cost of living crisis.
Around two million people report having, external Long Covid, there has been a surge in the numbers of people with long-term health problems and the NHS has a mammoth waiting list.
Prof Cruickshank says stress makes the immune system “less able to function” and sedentary lifestyles and bad diets were causing “metabolic inflammation”.
“This is where our immune system has got out of balance and this makes us less able to deal effectively with threats,” she says.
“A lot of us are malnourished and missing out on key nutrients that are really important for your immune system”.
So infections that our bodies may have easily cleared in the past may be causing more intense symptoms now.

Hay fever

If you’re feeling grotty with a runny nose, itchy throat and bouts of sneezing then it may be your immune system reacting to pollen rather than an infection.
“If you’re unlucky enough like me to have hay fever, that’s not going to make you feel particularly wonderful either,” she says.
The Met Office, external says climate change has the potential to affect hay fever by increasing the pollen-season and the intensity of the pollen – essentially, making hay fever worse and last longer.
This is a long-term trend, but Prof Cruickshank says this could explain feeling “a little bit worse” this summer.

Summer colds are nothing new

The phrase “summer cold” was not coined in 2024.
Prof Ball says that as well as the other factors above, we may also be more on edge about coughs and colds after developing a “heightened” response due to the pandemic.
In 2019 nobody was thinking "is that Covid?" when a colleague has a raking cough or "do I need to buy a Covid test?” when feeling ropey ahead of a holiday flight or visiting elderly relatives.
“People are just a little bit more aware of sniffles and things that, maybe pre-Covid, they just got on with life,” says Prof Ball.
Covid is still Covid, but maybe we don't need to fret so much about an old-fashioned summer sniffle.

Full article - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cjm9gez8e8mo

When I had my bad attack of whatever it was earlier this year the cough went on for 2 months I could not shake it for ages

SWMBO has the same TB we thought it may have been long COVID as she did have COVID having read -
We have also seen the resurgence of whooping cough – also known as the 100-day cough or pertussis – in 2024.
maybe it was whooping cough.

We never tested as we see it as it doesn't seem to matter anymore but we were really bad with the flu type symptoms and the cough just would not shift as I said it went on for 2 months.
We only surmise it may have been Covid.

Back