Corny keg

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
you have a few options here: do as suggested above, increase pressure and leave for a couple of weeks or if it is ready to drink you could force it quicker…

There are methods to do this in a few hours, days or weeks, less if you want to rock it. If you have the space to lay the keg flat at lagering temperature one option is whack it up to 45psi and either keep connected or return several times to top up as theCO2 is absorbed. Apparently giving it more surface area helps the absorption. I have tried this method over a 6 hour period with a 1L pet bottle and it does work, but not tried on a corny.

The rule used when I worked at Coca Cola was TRAPPT I.e.

Time
Receptivity (we first removed the O2 from the liquid)
Area (in contact with the gas)
Pressure (of the gas)
Purity
Temperature (chilling the liquid)

cold beer absorbs more CO2. For Ales I carbonate at about 12 - 14psi at fridge temps - so about 3 degrees C. At higher temps and 10psi you're not getting much CO2 in there and if the gas is not connected all the time then the initial charge you gave it will be absorbed into the beer and the carbonation levels are partly so low you can't detect it

thanks everybody for your advice i took it all onboard and it was saved and drunk :)
i am about to keg a simcoe ipa what pressure should i keg it at ?

Latest posts

Back