Corny Keg Direct Tap Question

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ddrab

Reaction score
Hello

I've just bought my first cornelius keg and due to use it for the first time soon but I have a question.

Has anyone had experience with the tap that attaches direct to the keg with out any hose.

I have read a number of places about people having problems with foamy beer from their corny keg because they don't have a long enough pipe coming from it to the tap, therefore it made be concerned that this tap; with no pipe, would have serious foaming issues. Does anyone have an experience or thought about this style of tap?

I'm planning on force carbonating with CO2 to ~2.5 volumes, and hopefully maintaining it at that throughout it's consumption.

Thank you

bad luck.. they look good but are as u have guessed absolutely pants at serving beer at anything other than a nominal pressure in a corny.

stick it in a drawer and forget about it,

Hi ddrab

I wouldn't worry too much about the taps that connect directly I have a kegerator and there's only about 1 meter maximum of beer line to the tap, it only foams if it's over carbonated and you can get rid of it easy with a corny, just bang it on the ground a few times and vent the gas off, plus with a direct attached tap, you don't need to clean the beer lines.

Thank you for all your advise, putting into practice next week!

http://www.kegerators.com/carbonation-table.php

if you keep the keg at 5C u will want about 12psi to maintain about 2.5vols,
if 12C 20 psi, in both cases u will need to balance that keg pressure out with the dispense line or flow control devices,

thin microline 3/16" will restrict pressure at 1-2psi per foot length, the target is to minimise the pressure drop at release(tap) to a nominal difference, 12psi to 0 will is very likely to stimulate a foam out

When I bought my Cornies in September I avoided the direct to keg tap and opted for taps fitted to the rubber, with a short length of beer line, 3mm ID I think. Really glad I didn't buy the direct to tap as I suffered foaming even with a length of beer line. Ended up swapping it out with a longer length to finally kill the foam.

Now my line is probably a bit too long at 3m, but it works well, as pouring creates either a perfect head or not enough, and it's always easy to create head when you need it, never easy to take it away.

I have just not long gotten my Corni Kegs and got them with the direct to keg tap and found it to be a total waist of beer. In the end I had to empty the Keg of Co2 each time to pour a pint. I if didn't empty the keg of Co2 it just came out as pure head.

I read this weekend about balancing out the system with plastic tubing so that's next weeks project.

Perhaps it's just me being lucky, but I've not had a problem with these taps if the pressure's low enough. Worth trying them at low pressure before you write them off though perhaps I waste too much CO2!

are you venting the co2 after the intial force carb ? i use 30psi at 32c for 5 days then vent and repressure to 6psi, no issues at all

Back