corney set up question

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
guys would like to get a few things clear in my head reguarding the set of of a corney and rather than start a new thread thought id carry on this one.

Right, am i correct in saying the screw in the middle of the regulator controls the pressure in the keg?
If so no matter how you turn the tap the gas wont exceed this pressure?
so if i adjust this to say 3psi and leave the tap on will it maintain this pressure in the keg throughout serving??

also what would you say is a good psi to condition ales and then serve them,i.e force it out of the keg, being as in pubs i believe they are as close to zero as possible as ales are not carbonated at all is this true?

stixy said:
guys would like to get a few things clear in my head reguarding the set of of a corney and rather than start a new thread thought id carry on this one.

Right, am i correct in saying the screw in the middle of the regulator controls the pressure in the keg?
It depends on the type of regulator as to whether it is a screw or knob that controls the pressure
If so no matter how you turn the tap the gas wont exceed this pressure?
Once the pressure is set and you have gas in your cylinder it will stay at the preset pressure
so if i adjust this to say 3psi and leave the tap on will it maintain this pressure in the keg throughout serving??
Yes
also what would you say is a good psi to condition ales and then serve them,i.e force it out of the keg, being as in pubs i believe they are as close to zero as possible as ales are not carbonated at all is this true?
It is a pure matter of taste as to what pressure you carbonate your ales to. If you google force carbonation there are tables available.
Pubs use different dispensing methods but the one you are thinking of would probably be hand pulled using a beer engine.
Beers in pubs are carbonated, but very slightly :)

thanks very much i think thats just about cleared that one up, once i have a few brews gone through it im sure it will become second nature!
Ok next problem conserns the art of pouring a lovely drinkable pint.

Now then as you can see from the above pic i have the push on connector taps, (with no flow control)which from general opinion are not the best at pouring beer rather than foam.
So would i have to keep the keg at near ice cold temp and at low psi in order to pour a drinkable drink??
if anybody has these taps in use could you please tell me how you use them to good effect.

If therefore i swap to a tap like the one in the pic below (which does has flow control) and drill a hole through the corney handle and fix this in, could i then attach the required amount of beer line directly into the back of the tap and fix that to the out post connector
and therefore pour a better pint?

your thoughts and ideas on this would help me no end as ive a terrible feeling that when i come to pour my beer im going to end up wasting the majority of it as im clueless on this process! :hmm:

sorry forgot the pic!!!

29f8_2.jpg

I take no credit for the following pics I have half inched em from another site but shall tell the owner.

Cornies with Dalex taps.

outsidebar1.jpg

How to set the tap up with beer line

dalex_setup.jpg

This one because I can :hmm:

sighn.jpg

lol i see!! any ideas where i can get the 3/8 x 3/16 reducers and disconnect fittings etc. looked everywhere!

stixy said:
lol i see!! any ideas where i can get the 3/8 x 3/16 reducers and disconnect fittings etc. looked everywhere!

Paul at barley bottom has them or flebay.

humm maybe missing it but they only sell part of it. which would be useless without the rest,would norm sell any of this stuff? ;) :hmm:

ebay item 120367484129 for 3/8 x 3/16 Straight Connectors - John Guest

ebay item 330305789664 for a pair of disconnect fittings

Hope that helps

Paul at Barley Bottom sells 3/8th - 3/16th JG fittings for £1.95 each and 3/16th beer line for 15p per metre. Get 5 metres and cut it down till you get it right.

Of course, you can get as far as piecing the bits together for a dry run only to find the tap I have has a 5/16th fitting :hmm: :hmm: :hmm:

Have a look for "the Harmony Hut" on E bay shops, he sold me a pair of 5/16" - 3/8" adaptors to fit my dalex tap. if he doesn't have any advertised it's worth sending him a message to see if he's got any in stock. They only cost me £1.30 :D
Hope that helps.
Russ :thumb:

One other thing to bear in mind......you don't have to physically mount the taps to the corny!

You can of course mount them remotely if that suits your needs better. A piece of board with a hole drilled in it for each tap works wonders and can also hold a driptray directly beneath the taps too.

thats brilliant matey, he has loads got a few on order to supply the many cornys i intend to get :thumb: :cheers: !!!!!

Latest posts

Back