Coopers Original Stout Review

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gunna do this this evening. One last thought:

Has anyone tried using 2 cans of the same? If so what were all the measures and taste.

Ive used a coopers larger, can of liquid malt extract and DME and its come out much smoother than just using DME although it puts the price up 2 a 2 can kit which basically is now becomes.

If this turn out well was thinking of using 2 cans with about 25l or am I asking for trouble. What you reckon are the draw backs

Kimosabby

Hi there!

I have done a Coopers Stout plus a Wilko Stout (1.5kg) a few times using 1kg table sugar, to 27L and this makes a very good stout indeed.

I did have a Coopers FV with the krausen collar, though, and this makes quite a big difference, head-space wise.

It makes for a very dark beer, which can be added very pleasantly to another (perhaps slightly nondescript) kit beer or to a dry supermarket cider.

Gunna do this this evening. One last thought:

Has anyone tried using 2 cans of the same? If so what were all the measures and taste.

Ive used a coopers larger, can of liquid malt extract and DME and its come out much smoother than just using DME although it puts the price up 2 a 2 can kit which basically is now becomes.

If this turn out well was thinking of using 2 cans with about 25l or am I asking for trouble. What you reckon are the draw backs

Kimosabby

The kits are pre-hopped whereas the liquid Malt isnt, adding two cans may lead to heavy bitterness.
Having said that I've just kegged a 3 can Imperial Stout (1 Coopers Stout, 1 Tooheys Dark, 1 Youngs Lager, 1kg Dextros) at 20L, the taste test (before the 3month conditioning stage) wasnt that bad.

Gents,

what types of priming sugar are people using? I was going to try normal white table for half the bottles and dark brown sugar for the other half. Having just measured out brown sugar its very clumpy and difficult to get an accurate tea spoon. How can you smooth it out?

Also what quantity are people using? Was thinking of about 4g per bottle

Thanks

Kimosabby

I use brewing sugar or table sugar for priming. The results are predictable. If you use other fermentables for priming a full flavoured stout I would have thought the effect would hardly be noticeable since all the flavour comes from what you put in the FV originally. However if you used black treacle to prime a lager.......:-o
Not sure about sugar quantities for priming bottles. I use 85g sugar for 19 litres stout in a PB and it works well. You could try this http://www.brewersfriend.com/beer-priming-calculator/

First try with this one tonight.

Can of Cooper's mix
500g extra dark spraymalt
1kg brew enhancer
OG came out at 1051

Tasted fine when going in. Further reports to follow.

Best kit ever! I used the supplied yeast and 1kg of Munton's Beer Enhancer instead of sugar - no fuss. Loads of action during fermentation and wonderful result out of the bottle, taste and head was superb with nice liquorice notes and a very slight hint of coffee at the end (listen to me, sounds like I think I know what I am talking about).

I brewed it short by a couple of liters to up alcohol content slightly (success at about 6 - 6.5% if memory serves me well) and to prevent overflow during fermentation (total fail but tamed it with an overflow pipe) My favorite brew by a long shot.

Body was thick black with little to no light coming through with a torch. Not too thick, possibly thinner than Guinness but still velvety and smooth.

Bottled it with 1 teaspoon of granulated white sugar per 500ml bottle, head was dark and creamy like bottled Guinness, not white like the cans. Good head retention - as stout man I prefer this to my usual Draught Guinness or Murphy's Stout.

Looks more like bottled Guinness with its darker head but tastes and feels more like Draught Guinness.

Something to remember: Always treat fermentation times supplied with kits with suspicion. Kits (beer AND wine kits) are usually very optimistic about how quickly the product will be ready to drink. That said, this kit was only a week or so out in total. As my friend Phil once said, "We all love a drink but you can't hurry love. No, you'll just have to wait. Love don't come easy - it's a game of give and take."

***** HIGHLY RECOMMENDED KIT *****

WONDERFUL!

100_0812-438.jpg

WILD BREW

100_0711-317.jpg

TAMED!

100_0713-318.jpg

Best kit ever! I used the supplied yeast and 1kg of Munton's Beer Enhancer instead of sugar - no fuss. Loads of action during fermentation and wonderful result out of the bottle, taste and head was superb with nice liquorice notes and a very slight hint of coffee at the end (listen to me, sounds like I think I know what I am talking about).

I brewed it short by a couple of liters to up alcohol content slightly (success at about 6 - 6.5% if memory serves me well) and to prevent overflow during fermentation (total fail but tamed it with an overflow pipe) My favorite brew by a long shot.

Body was thick black with little to no light coming through with a torch. Not too thick, possibly thinner than Guinness but still velvety and smooth.

Bottled it with 1 teaspoon of granulated white sugar per 500ml bottle, head was dark and creamy like bottled Guinness, not white like the cans. Good head retention - as stout man I prefer this to my usual Draught Guinness or Murphy's Stout.

Looks more like bottled Guinness with its darker head but tastes and feels more like Draught Guinness.

Something to remember: Always treat fermentation times supplied with kits with suspicion. Kits (beer AND wine kits) are usually very optimistic about how quickly the product will be ready to drink. That said, this kit was only a week or so out in total. As my friend Phil once said, "We all love a drink but you can't hurry love. No, you'll just have to wait. Love don't come easy - it's a game of give and take."

***** HIGHLY RECOMMENDED KIT *****

WONDERFUL!

100_0812-438.jpg

WILD BREW

100_0711-317.jpg

TAMED!

100_0713-318.jpg

Reply edited (removed) to post elsewhere

First try with this one tonight.

Can of Cooper's mix
500g extra dark spraymalt
1kg brew enhancer
OG came out at 1051

Tasted fine when going in. Further reports to follow.

Further report now....

Fermented for fourteen days at 21°C then moved to the fridge at 3°C for a further six days still in the FV.
FG was 1012 calculated ABV of 5.1%.
Had a taste of the brew when kegging to three mini kegs and nine 500ml PET bottles, the taste was very reminiscent of Guinness etc although it's a while since I've drunk Guinness.
The colour is very rich and dark and although it was very clear even a pretty strong torch struggled to get any light through.
As with most people on here I'm impressed with this so far and am looking forward to the final product.

Got my second one on the go. Added 1kg dark dme, the leftovers of a bag of dextrose maybe about 300g, 150g of dark muscovado and a fuggles hop tea. Og of 1044 bit lower than my last one I may also dry hop with more fuggles before bottling.

Just finishing my first pint of my first attempt of this ( brewed it with 1kg of dark dme).

My samples while checking carbonation were quite liquoricey. This pint though has a really nice toffee nose and hints (please tell me they hang around!).
Had the usual battle to get my pb to seal and carbonate, it still pours differently from any other of my barrelled brews but hoping the rest of the barrel is as good as this pint.

Just bottling mine today. Fermented with 500g light dme (all I had with no LHBS near) and 1kg soft brown sugar. OG was 1.058 and FG is 1.010. Added 1 pack of oak chips on day 7 and about to bottle it now. Lovely taste. :) Rather tempted to drop in some bourbon before bottling actually as I'm a fan of bourbon stouts. Just read through first 30 pages trying to find out which yeast this is as the packet just said 'Coopers'. Anyone know? It fermented out really well so was tempted to wash some out for saving.

Just read through first 30 pages trying to find out which yeast this is as the packet just said 'Coopers'. Anyone know? It fermented out really well so was tempted to wash some out for saving.
Try post 18 in this thread.
https://www.coopers.com.au/coopers-forum/topic/7290/
If it's to be believed the Original Stout has a generic Coopers yeast shared with others in that range, whereas the Coopers Irish Stout has a 'commercially available' ale yeast 'details are held in confidence'.
All the Coopers kits I have done using their yeast have consistently attenuated to around 72%, and I have yet to have a dud one.

Bottled this Sunday. I was a bit worried as I'd left it three weeks and there was mould growing on the underside of the FV lid where the krausen had touched when it overflowed. There was also some white growth on top of the wort which could have been yeast. 30 odd bottles and one mini keg, will see how it turns out. Sample tasted fine, just sitting in the warm now to carb before I move to the shed at the end of next week.

Brewed with 1kg dark DME, I had grand designs of playing with it but in the end just decided I wanted a bog standard brew which could be a nice session stout and not too high ABV.

IMG_20160223_183842.jpg

Glass of Cooper's Stout poured from a mini keg using the Party Star.
Looks great, smells great and tastes great too. It's better than the ones from the bottles I filled.
Highly recommend the Stout, the mini keg and the Party Star.

IMG_20160223_183842.jpg

Bottled my fuggled up stout on Saturday had to try one tonight. No head yet too early but tastes great. I'm really pleased with this so far much nicer than my first one.

Got my second brew of this on the go this afternoon. Same method as last time but replaced the 100g of brewing sugar with demerara. Fingers crossed it's as good as the last one. I can feel an imperial on the cards soon.

Thumbs up
I keep looking at doing a STRONG imperial stout
Keep researching ready for the day I can buy a 50 litre + pot

Thumbs up
I keep looking at doing a STRONG imperial stout
Keep researching ready for the day I can buy a 50 litre + pot

I've banged on about this a few times on here (apologies for the repeat!) but the Coopers Russian Imperial recipe comes out absolutely superb:

http://store.coopers.com.au/recipes/index/view/id/49/

I bottled mine last August, and have 30-odd left. It was good from bottling but now it's by far the best thing I've brewed. It's a beast of a beer though - went into the bottle at about 9.5%, so probably 9.7 - 9.8 after conditioning. Not a midweek tipple!

I've banged on about this a few times on here (apologies for the repeat!) but the Coopers Russian Imperial recipe comes out absolutely superb:

http://store.coopers.com.au/recipes/index/view/id/49/

I bottled mine last August, and have 30-odd left. It was good from bottling but now it's by far the best thing I've brewed. It's a beast of a beer though - went into the bottle at about 9.5%, so probably 9.7 - 9.8 after conditioning. Not a midweek tipple!

Yes I've seen this and similar, but the cost :doh:
Is it that good ??
I've been tempted to do a coopers stout with chocolate type grains
I like my stout thick chocolatey with a coffee hit
But I'am still learning the ways off the brew :confused:

Latest posts

Back