Contact sterilisation

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cwrw

Regular.
Reaction score
Boring topic but what is the best contact steriliser...and with regards to the use of betadine 10%/videne what is the water dilution needed for effective contact sterilisation use? :hmm:

1.25ml per litre.

'best' contact disinfectant :hmm: Got to be a chlorinated caustic . . . i.e bleach it just does the job. . . . If the surfaces are clean then a suitable iodophor or a quat like stericlens . . . Peracetic Acid is a damned effective biocide on clean surfaces.

and there is always a 70% alcohol solution . . . rubbing alcohol works well for this . . . and I also use iso propyl alcohol as well. . . . for hard surface disinfecting

Good answer...but I'm afraid I co*ked-up as I meant a contact sanitiser that is no-rinse also :whistle:

I think as far as i can rember its 2.5ml of vidavine to 2 ltrs of preboiled water . this is what I use when i want it no rince took the info from either this site or jims and wrote it down
just do a search for no rince sterilisers on this and jims site and you will get all the info on what you can use cosering iodine and all the trade names it comes under and starsan ect

Contact No Rinse . . .
Videne at 1.25ml per litre,
Starsan at 1ml per litre
Peracetic acid . . . dilution varies depending on application

Here a Q that has been bugging me for a while, when you make up a L of Videne to use in a spray bottle (for odd and sod spot sanatising) how long does it remain active ? i.e. all day, 1 hour, 3 weeks ????

it goes clear overnight so I figure you get 3 or 4 hours use out of it . it has lost its power if it is clear.it still smells lovely though ( I love the smell of Iodean )

If you make it up with deionised water, and add 1ml/L of phosphoric acid (Or CRS), then it will stay effective as long as you keep it out of the sun . . . . if you use water with a high alkalinity then it will go clear in short order . . . Ideally you need it to have a pH of 3.0 or less for it to be effective . . . Brupaks iodophor is acidified . . . I'm not sure about videne

I use videan and just maker it up as and when I need it then whatever is left is poured into what ever is in the sink needing wahsing up therebye giving my cutlery and dishes a good steralise/sanatise no harm in doing once in a while I think so its not wasted really
Also you use so little at a time I see no harm in making a new batch up when you need the bottle of videan lasts for ages at that dilution

Does anyone know of a uk site that sells star san (other than H +G as they're out of stock)?

critch said:
i use peracetic its great stuff, works a treat!

just dont get it on you.......... :nono:
Critch, Do you use the 5% Peracetic, or the 15% peracid . . . I know they come from different suppliers, and that the 5% solution is bad enough :D . . . just want to get some(250ml) of the peracid if I can

If critch gets it from Murphys, it's the 5% Peracetic, same as we use.

EDIT: Doing some research, I'm confused by you refering to the 15% as Peracid. Peracetic Acid is already a Peroxy acid (with the extra oxygen).

Rhymney Brewery won't tell me where they get the PerAcid (15%) stuff from . . . . Not that I want/need 15L of the blooming stuff :lol:

TT - I've set him an message asking about strength . . . again not that I need 5L . . . although I have a few brewers in the area that I could split it with

Aleman said:
there is always a 70% alcohol solution . . . rubbing alcohol works well for this . . . and I also use iso propyl alcohol as well. . . . for hard surface disinfecting
Got some of this at work, does it need diluting?

Aleman said:
Rhymney Brewery won't tell me where they get the PerAcid (15%) stuff from . . . . Not that I want/need 15L of the blooming stuff :lol:

If I had to hazard a guess, I reckon Holchem would produce it. I have no idea if they'd deal direct though.

BarnsleyBrewer said:
Aleman said:
there is always a 70% alcohol solution
Got some of this at work, does it need diluting?
Am I missing Something :wha: :wha: Is there not a clue in the 70% alcohol solution :hmm: :hmm: 700ml of alcohol made up to 1000ml with distilled water . . . Perfect for hard surface bug killing, and if you let it evaporate dry it will also do for fermenters etc.

Prefeerd alcohols

Pure Ethanol - F*ckin expensive . . like 60 quid a litre
Industrial alcohol
Rubbing alcohol
Isopropyl alcohol

under no circumstances use methanol or meths

Latest posts

Back