co2 injector for mini/easy keg build(pic heavy)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iceo

Landlord.
Reaction score
WARNING
I HAVE NOT TRIED OR TESTED THIS YET, IT IS A WORK IN PROGRESS

admin/mods feel free to move this as I was not sure where to post this

iv been using a mini/easy keg's for a month or so and wanted to make a co2 injector on the cheap and having looked around on the net and talking to a member on here . I thought I would have a go at making one so here is my very basic how to.

Im use the mini kegs with the built in tap and a standard 3 piece bung

so what you need is

a black 3 piece bung (with the red bits) you could use a Gray bung but I dont have any
and a tyre valve http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221003911234?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649
you will need a co2 pump (I dont have one yet)

took a few pics as I put it together. (sorry if the pics are not all that clear)

all the bits layed out

i took the valve to bits and put it back together in a different way.

I might need to put a tap washer under the bolt but until I test it in dont know

I have taken the red bits out of the bung

the valve pushes into the bung (you can see the vent hole in the side of the bung)

the rubber washer that would fit against in the inside of the rim fits nicely in the top of the bung and closes off the the small vent hole in the side of the bung

a nice close fit

with the nut of the top pinches it all up tight (not to tight as you could crush the bung)

iv not tested it as yet as i dont have a empty keg spare and not get a co2 injector(bike pump) yet. i will test in with just a hand bike pump when i can find it in the shed.
i have got a digital tyre gauge i will check the pressure with.

That is super clever. I have all the same bits and bobs, but never thought to mount the valve in the bung (I drilled a hole in my mini keg to mount the valve). If it holds pressure, you're on to a winner!

i didnt want to drill my kegs(no tools and didnt want to damage them). so got thinking about using the bungs. i would try the gray bungs but cant find any where the p+p is not stupid prices

i will post if it works or if mods need to be made.

i should copy right the idea if it works or give it a name :hmm: :whistle:

Is there any way to add a pressure relief valve?
What's the pressure rating on one of those kegs?

Swift Pint said:
Is there any way to add a pressure relief valve?
What's the pressure rating on one of those kegs?

not yet on the relief valve. but i will be using a tyre gauge to keep in eye on the pressure
the im not sure but from what i have read on the net 10-15 psi

so after some problems with it not sealing i changed how i put the valve together with the help of some washers.i filled with water, then got it up to 12psi with a old hand pump. so i checked it this morning and it had dropped down to 9.5 psi after 10 hours so its holding pressure :thumb:

Looks like a good solution. But would only work on the side valve kegs. Moved this to Beer Brewing Equipment Discussion section. :thumb:

so iv just picked up a weldtite jetvalve co2 pump from my local bike shop for £10 so i will start testing with water to see if i can force carb before i risk a brew with it.

yes my pump takes a 16g co2 threaded bulb.

Uses standard 3/8 - 24UNF Threaded cartridges

charged my keg yesterday psi went up to 14.5 with a quick shake it dropped down to 6.5 . took a reading last night and this morning still holding at 6.5.

thanks for the links but at the minute its cheaper to get them from my local halfords as the cost of postage doubles the price if i only want a few

oz11 said:
I've read that the tyre inflator bulbs should not be used for dispensing beer since they may contain metal/oil residues, whereas the ones specifically for beer do not have these. I do not know if this is true or not. Just sayin' :)

I believe it's just one of those rumours that gets passed around and becomes folklore. Do you have a source?

I suspect that a factory in China churns out millions of these little co2 bottles and they are rebranded by the sellers.
Somebody once told me I had to use food grade co2, how can Co2 be anything but co2?

I call ******** on the whole rumour, but it's ultimately your call.

Also, you are only using the co2 to push the beer out of the keg, not to carbonate the beer.

Latest posts

Back