Cloudy Bitter

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MickD

Reaction score
Hi,

I've brewed a Geordies Yorkshire Bitter kit, a few weeks ago, which all went fine, Kegged it left it a week, tried it, tasted OK but was still a little cloudy, so I left it another week tried it, this time it was very cloudy, a lot more so than the first time I tried it, so left it another week and tried it yesterday, it was still extremely cloudy, its not clearing at all, when it was kegged it has been on the worktop in the kitchen as i've not much room to put it elsewhere.

Before this kit I tried a Geordies bitter ( not Yorkshire ) I did exactly the same and this cleared within 10 days..

Does anyone know whats happened and why its still so cloudy?

Thanks Mick.

How long after fermentation had finished did you keg it?
What type of keg is it in?

If you didn't leave the beer for a few days after fermentation then there will have been a lot of yeast in suspension.
If this has then gone into a bottom tap keg it will have left a large yeast deposit around the tap which you will be disturbing when you pour a glass.

Hi TS,
I left it for maybe 2 days after fermentation had finished before I kegged it.

It's in a boots pressure barrel ( bottom tap )

Is there anything i can do to correct it now its in the barrel?

Thanks,

Mick.

Keeping it cool, rather than room temperature will help drop the yeast out of suspension. Aim for about 12-13 deg C if you can.

MickD said:
Hi TS,
I left it for maybe 2 days after fermentation had finished before I kegged it.

It's in a boots pressure barrel ( bottom tap )

Is there anything i can do to correct it now its in the barrel?

Thanks,

Mick.
You are going to have to accept that a few pints will be cloudy until the beer being drawn clears the yeast away from the tap :-(

Back