cheap kits vs more expensive

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Locky

Reaction score
Is it worth shelling out the extra cash for a more expensive kit? ive had a cheap beer kit and it tasted so awful i threw it away, usually im good with odd tasting beers but this was horrific.

i dont want to spend money on a kit that will taste awful again.

the cheap lagers are fine but i do prefer a beer. :drink:

yes , but always check the date , often poor kit beer is due to old malt in can , so fresher the better and 2 can kits are better

some of the more expensive kits have 2 cans in them , so around 3.5kg ish of liquid malt often already hopped too

Two can kits are great. Also, oldstout and I are converts to the Better Brew squishy bag ones, they seem to be worth the few extra quid over the one can kits.

When I say one can through, the short brew Brewferm one can kits seem to be excellent.

Give a two can kit a go. As you prefer beer I'm assuming ale here so something from Woodfordes or St Peters are good reliable choices.
They are not that more expensive than single can kits when you add on the price of the additions these require.
My low cut off point quality wise is a Coopers kit + BE or DME which is not far short of a two can kit where no additions are required except maybe a small dry hop if you really want to push the boat out.

I've done 3 one can kits, and 1 two can kit. With the exception of the Coopers Irish Stout (1 can kit) the two can wins hands down over the other one can kits.

I'd recommend getting a two can kit and trying it. The cost is around the same when you consider you don't need to buy any extra malt extract or sugar.

Locky said:
Is it worth shelling out the extra cash for a more expensive kit? ive had a cheap beer kit and it tasted so awful i threw it away
Well I think that answers your question.

Patience, and attention to detail when cleaning and sanitising your equipment is essential to making a good quality beer.

Having said that you cannot make a silk purse out of a sows ear, so the more expensive kits you buy generally the better the result.

cheers all.
I use a sterilising powder in boiled water and either lay to rest dry or paper towel dry.

i did a muntons gold ipa, 2 cans and cost me £22, i also did a geordie bitter cost 6.99 at morrisons and i used the geordie beer enhancer which is spraymalt and dextrose which was £4.99

i very much preferred the cheaper one can geordie but then i did also dry hop it

Somewhere around here there is a faq on getting the most from your cheaper beer kits.

I'm brewing a 7 quid youngs bitter, and I cannot imagine it tasting any worse then a Carlsberg or a Carling if I'm quite honest about it. If it tastes quite off, then as above, sanitation is your best friend.

calumscott said:
Two can kits are great. Also, oldstout and I are converts to the Better Brew squishy bag ones, they seem to be worth the few extra quid over the one can kits.

...and they shall henceforth be referred to (in defferential tones) on this forum as .....

The Better Brew Brothers :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

:cheers:

Back