changing O.G

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Russ H-R

Reaction score
Hello all, can anyone tell me what the procedure is for changing the OG in a recipe if it's not what it's supposed to Be?

I've just finished brewing my second AG - a Hogs Back Brewery TEA clone. the recipe stated the OG should be 1040, mine was 1050. is it simply a case of diluting the wort with a bit more liqour ?

Its a question for future brews as this one's in the fermenter now :D

Vol to add = ((Current Volume - Desired Gravity (* 1000)) Divided by Current Gravity (* 1000))-Current Volume

So Current Gravity = 50 (1.050 * 1000)
Desired Gravity = 40 (1.040 * 1000)
Current Volume 23l

Code:
To Add = ( ( 23 * 50 ) / 40 ) - 23
       = ( 1150 / 40 ) - 23
       = 28.75 -23
       =  5.75l

Thanks Parva, sorry for being so dumb, it will obviously have to be pre boiled liquor then right?

I'll have to get more sorted for next time and boil up some extra in case I get it wrong again! :oops:

Russ H-R said:
Thanks Parva, sorry for being so dumb, it will obviously have to be pre boiled liquor then right?

I'll have to get more sorted for next time and boil up some extra in case I get it wrong again! :oops:

Yep, I'd boil it first to drive off the chlorine. Don't forget the (bit of) camden tablet.

Back