Casks: i got them now what

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Devonhomebrew

Landlord.
Reaction score
I dont want to pay 40 quid plus for a co2 jobby breather i hate the midget widget system for my plastic keg can i just use some co2 to protect after i have been drinking from my keg and plug it up with a hard spile.

Just dont want to have to drink 40 pints in 2-3 weeks is all.

Lets hope the magic forum fairy's will appear and whisper in my ear the way to go.

A race cask vent will give 4-5 days, co2 cask breather gives a week or so. If you want to keep it for a month the cask is the wrong option, you would need a keg (corny or pub style)

ive been told that beer will last in cask for 2-3 weeks without anything just spires have you got casks?

Yes, some pubs will use sparklers to liven them up if they are old, but honestly, the beer oxidises and becomes very cardboardy in taste after 3 days and would be like vinegar after 2 weeks

Devonhomebrew said:
ive been told that beer will last in cask for 2-3 weeks without anything just spires have you got casks?

You have been misinformed. Exactly how long it will last depends on a number of variables, but more than 5 days is pushing it.

If you store under 1psi of CO2 then you will prob get just over a week out of it before its undrinkable. With a co2 blanket maybe 5-7days.

This is an issue that intrigues me.
I fill my king keg and let it secondary ferment then start drinking it. I know that beer will be good for several months as no air has come into contact with it.
I would've thought a similar system could be used on casks, if some sort of CO2 system was setup so that no air got into the cask but it was still held at low pressure for dispensing then the beer should last longer.

Co2 is Heaver then air so if you have a co2 bottle with a regulator on it then a pipe from it and you spray a little in the top of the keg it will keep the air from the beer as the co2 will push out the air then just re pin it ;-)

Darcey said:
If there is a co2 blanket CAMRA says its not real ale!

not really bothered how CAMRA choose to define Real Ale, the important question is can it be done?

Nunfa1 said:
not really bothered how CAMRA choose to define Real Ale, the important question is can it be done?
I am just pointing out that is WHY its not done because CAMRA don't recognise it!

D

Many pubs use a cask breather CO2 blanket pressure system these days, but it is not designed for weeks and weeks of keeping the beer. I read in the CAMRA rag that someone has invented a new kind of cask that is similar to a wine box in that there is an internal foil lining which shrinks with the beer volume so there is no spile or oxygen getting in at all. I wonder how that will work out.

adomant said:
Many pubs use a cask breather CO2 blanket pressure system these days, but it is not designed for weeks and weeks of keeping the beer. I read in the CAMRA rag that someone has invented a new kind of cask that is similar to a wine box in that there is an internal foil lining which shrinks with the beer volume so there is no spile or oxygen getting in at all. I wonder how that will work out.

I have not heard of the back in cask system you quote above does sound interesting if not slightly flawed in its brilliance and some how implausible. All of the above are NOT cask conditioned real ale then. The key point is that is beer is exposed to the 'air' at 11-13C and loose excess CO2. I am not being awkward these are the rules that camra set for us (licencies & publicans). You cant market Y'Real Ale' or 'Cask Conditioned Ale' if you serve it as above. Rather than all the effort why not just use kegs and serve at the correct Co2/Vol?

Sorry abit off topic, I'll go rant else where!

If we ignore CAMRA for the moment, the OP will be using his casks at home anyway. What would be the best way to prolong the life of the beer in the casks? And if the best way is to use CO2 then so be it.

And it should be stressed that the 3 day life after a broaching a cask, is if it is stored at a proper cellar temperature.
Casks are great for a party, but otherwise they need a blanket co2 system.

Cask conditioned beer is by far superior to cornelius beer and bottled beer IMO. But it just doesnt have the shelf life :(.

so if i squirt hahahaha dirty mind some c02 into my cask after drink session it will be fine just sledgehammer told me he has beer in this casks that have lasted 2-3 weeks with just a spile and shive

Latest posts

Back