Can you put 1.5kg of sugar in a specified 1kg kit?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schnell88

Reaction score
I have bought a bitter kit that requires 1.5kg, and that made my beer the strength that I like; the one that they sell in Wilkinson specifies 1kg. If I buy off the internet I have to pay postage, and that can be expensive, especially compared to the cost of the kit itself

I was wondering if you could put 1.5kg in a kit that specifies 1kg?

My guess would be that it would taste a bit bland, but have the strength that I desire. Also, is the yeast in the 1.5kg kit a factor.

Thank you.

Schnell (Rob)

Helps if I mention the 1.5kg kit I can only get off the net, and the 1kg kit I can get in Wilkinson! lol.

Which kit are you on about? Im not aware of any 1kg kits on the market and wilkos kits are 1.5kg (gordies) 1.8kg (youngs, EDME and coopers) and the 3kg Wherry kit.

The 1.5kg is the youngs yorkshire bitter; not available at wilkinson.

The 1kg is the definitive bitter; available at wilkos.

Im looking for around 5%

Any bitter kits at wilko that do this?

Thanks

Schnell88 said:
The 1.5kg is the youngs yorkshire bitter; not available at wilkinson.

The 1kg is the definitive bitter; available at wilkos.

Im looking for around 5%

Any bitter kits at wilko that do this?

Thanks

the youngs kits at wilkos are all above 1.5kg, if you add more sugar they can get watery, its worth adding a beer kit enhancer (spray malt and sugar mix) instead of sugar (also stocked at wilkos about £4.99), it will add more body to the beer!!

The woodforde's wherry kit they sell will give you a abv of around 4.5% and needs no sugar!

Back