Can I do this?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Martin

Reaction score
I have just brewed my first beer (A tom Caxton kit).

Left it in the fermenting barrel for 10 days (the bubbles had stopped) and transferred it all to a pressure keg. Syphoned off some beer to add the required sugar then added it all back in.

Now though i want to bottle some and leave it for a few months to see how it tastes then.

In about 2 weeks when it should be ready to drink will it be ok to pour some into glass beer bottles then cap and leave then?

How long do you want to leave the bottles for?

I do this (except from a cornie) when I want to give a couple of bottles away but not for long term storage. You'll end up with a layer of air, containing oxygen, in the bottles causing the beer to deteriorate fairly quickly. If you can flush the bottle with CO2 first, this will help.

Depending on the yeast level in the beer, you may get away with priming each bottle with about 1/2tsp of sugar allowing CO2 to build up and protect the beer.

Was thinking gor a few months. Not to worry I will just have to drink it all now and bottle some from the next brew.

Also whats a cornie?

Thinking about it as well when I transferred the beer to the pressure keg it wasnt totally full so will the trapped air in the top of that effect the beer? :(

Martin said:
Thinking about it as well when I transferred the beer to the pressure keg it wasnt totally full so will the trapped air in the top of that effect the beer? :(

CO2 is heavier than air so the beer should be protected by a layer of that from the air in the top of the keg.

If you have a gas source, it's a good idea to purge the gas out of the keg after filling, then filling back up with CO2.

If you're just relying on the gas generated by the priming sugar, then don't fiddle ;)

jamesb said:
Martin said:

CO2 is heavier than air so the beer should be protected by a layer of that from the air in the top of the keg.

If you have a gas source, it's a good idea to purge the gas out of the keg after filling, then filling back up with CO2.

If you're just relying on the gas generated by the priming sugar, then don't fiddle ;)

So for the moment do I just leave it?

I have bought the gas attachment thing with the little tiny silver cans. I thought you had to add that to the barrel as you drank the beer from it?

Or have I got the wrong end of the stick? :?

Martin said:
jamesb said:
Martin said:

So for the moment do I just leave it?

I have bought the gas attachment thing with the little tiny silver cans. I thought you had to add that to the barrel as you drank the beer from it?

Or have I got the wrong end of the stick? :?

No, you've got it. As you start drinking the beer, the pressure in the barrel becomes less and you have to add gas to get it out. If the keg starts "glugging" when you're trying to get beer out, stop - because this is letting air in through the tap - and add gas.

I'm still not convinced that beer bottled from a keg like this is a good idea for long term storage.

I have made it ready for a party so wont be bottling it, it will be drunk straight from the keg. Is this ok or does it need to be bottled for a period?

Martin said:
I have made it ready for a party so wont be bottling it, it will be drunk straight from the keg. Is this ok or does it need to be bottled for a period?

Forget the bottles, the keg is spot on :thumb:

Thats good news, was starting to think I had stuffed it then and im desperate to try some!

Would you recommend only using kegs for storage then?

Also how long will the beer last for in a keg?

Martin said:
Thats good news, was starting to think I had stuffed it then and im desperate to try some!

Would you recommend only using kegs for storage then?

Nope, bottles are great for storage when used correctly.

What most people do is leave the beer for about 10 days in the fermentation bucket and then bottle. Others transfer to a secondary vessel for a bit to drop bright(er) and then transfer it - there's a discussion on that here: http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=2393

I don't bother with secondary when I bottle.

Also how long will the beer last for in a keg?

It depends on the strength of the beer. Strong beers such as barley wines will last up to 12 months. Lower strength beers such as your average bitter won't last as long - maybe a couple of months.
Once opened of course, they won't last as long - it depends on the method of dispense.

Ah I see, I have bought a load of glass ale bottles ready for my next brew and am saving used ones. So will be bottling next then just using the keg for something to drink as I go along.

I left the ale in the formenter barrel for 10 days and am planning on leaveing it in the keg for about 14 days, will it be ok to start drinking then?

Martin said:
I left the ale in the formenter barrel for 10 days and am planning on leaveing it in the keg for about 14 days, will it be ok to start drinking then?

It will be perfectly ok to drink, but will taste better if you leave it a bit longer. Usually the last pint is the best ;)

When I was doing kits, I could only wait 14 days. Worked for me.

Dont know if it makes any difference but when i put it over to the keg at the begining of the week it was quite sweet. Will that taste reduce while it is in the keg?

Martin said:
Dont know if it makes any difference but when i put it over to the keg at the begining of the week it was quite sweet. Will that taste reduce while it is in the keg?

Possibly.

I don't suppose you have a hydrometer and know what the present gravity of the beer is? If it hasn't fermented out fully (let's say it was cold so fermentation was slow) then all the fermentable sugars haven't all been converted to alcohol yet.

It will probably get less sweet as time goes by.

I did have a hydrometer but didnt have a clue what the hell it was for until a couple of days ago im ashamed to say. :(

Ah well its all a learning curve, if its minging I dare say the old man will drink it.

Thanks for the help! :D

Martin said:
I did have a hydrometer but didnt have a clue what the hell it was for until a couple of days ago im ashamed to say. :(

Ah well its all a learning curve, if its minging I dare say the old man will drink it.

Thanks for the help! :D

It'll be fine, stop worrying. :cheers:

Back