building an (semi) automated brewcontroller

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really love this . . . might have a word with a plumber friend and get a pair of gas valves for my beastie :) . . . .

Of course the bit I'm really interested in is that stirrer for the mash tun . . . . I want something similar to stir my HLT on the femtobrewery

I love it mate, keep the installments coming as wel as photos of that kit.

home made temp probes I love it!

A T said:
Aleman said:
. . . . I want something similar to stir my HLT on the femtobrewery
Are you planning on having the water well mixed before it gets into the mash tun Tony :lol:
To make sure you have all your liquor at the same temperature I guess.

ano said:
A T said:
Aleman said:
. . . . I want something similar to stir my HLT on the femtobrewery
Are you planning on having the water well mixed before it gets into the mash tun Tony :lol:
That's basically it . . . The HLT will be on a timer and PID controlled . . . I just want to make sure that all the liquor is at my strike temp . . . without waiting for it to happen 'naturally' through convection

Zwickel, your English is absolutely fine. I think we all understand exactly what you mean. I only wish my German was that good. You have certainly achieved a lot in your brewery, and many of us are envious! Keep up the excellent work :thumb:

ahhh.....Screwy old mate, nice to see you here on board :cheers:

I see, we´re the "United Beer Lovers" ;) it´s a very small world we live in, isn´t it?

@all, thanks a lot for the positive resonance, the thread will be continued very soon.

Cheers

Aleman said:
ano said:
A T said:
That's basically it . . . The HLT will be on a timer and PID controlled . . . I just want to make sure that all the liquor is at my strike temp . . . without waiting for it to happen 'naturally' through convection

Which never happens consistantly. Which is why I recirculate mine for 15 minutes before mashing. There's a 5deg differential in my HLT.

But If I stir the HLT while heating I won't need to recirculate the liquor when I come to use it . . . . I was thinking of a 12V wiper motor, with a simple blade on a shaft . . . . the femtocontroller has 12V supply out . .. . Or I can use 5V for a slower rotation.

But If I stir the HLT while heating I won't need to recirculate the liquor when I come to use it
You will lose heat to the pump and associated pipework though, if the liquor hasn't been recirced through it.
I was thinking of a 12V wiper motor, with a simple blade on a shaft . . . . the femtocontroller has 12V supply out . .. . Or I can use 5V for a slower rotation.
But If I stir the HLT while heating I won't need to recirculate the liquor when I come to use it . . . . I was thinking of a 12V wiper motor, with a simple blade on a shaft . . . . the femtocontroller has 12V supply out . .. . Or I can use 5V for a slower rotation.
Like it :cool: ...though about the mash/doughing stirrer yet :hmm:

Vossy1 said:
But If I stir the HLT while heating I won't need to recirculate the liquor when I come to use it
You will lose heat to the pump and associated pipework though, if the liquor hasn't been recirced through it.
Wouldn't that be a bit more of a predictable/consistent loss though?

Wouldn't that be a bit more of a predictable/consistent loss though?
Depends where you brew I suppose. My equipment can be near freezing in winter due to brewing outside. The loss could be negligable anyway, was just thinking aloud.

yeah, a sufficient stirrer is a very important thingy on the brewery, I call it the homogenizer ;)

here are two parts they would do the job:

3889300x225.jpg

at right thats a frequency converter (230V in, 3 phases 400V out) that controls the speed/rpm.
With that, one can control the motor from almost still standing until high speed spinning.
The motor is basically used to operate a garage door, found it very cheap on ebay.
For mashing, the motor is set at around 60 rpm and later for cleaning it´s spinning at around 250 rpm, so the caustic soda is splashing to everywhere.

Latest posts

Back