bubbler ?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ciderbob

Reaction score
hi guys i ad baught a youngs bnoxed brewing kit
and im brewing it now ..

but

ive been looking up how tos on youtube
and i notied everyone uses a bubbler on their buckets
and ive not got 1 with this boxed kit

sould i make a hole in the lid and install 1 my self ???

and if so what would be te best way to make a hole on the lid ??

You dont have to use a bubbler (airlock) lots of people just snap the lids on the fermenter as the c02 builds up it will open the lid a crack with the pressure.

If you want to fit an airlock with a bung use a holecutting drill bit of the appropriate size for your bung.

Hear hear, fermentation traps on buckets are a waste of time.
If you want to use a trap, get a fermenter with the pre drilled, 4", screw on lid.

ericstd said:
Hear hear, fermentation traps on buckets are a waste of time.
If you want to use a trap, get a fermenter with the pre drilled, 4", screw on lid.

I bought a FV with the scew on lid which is pre drilled, I've only just done my first brew ........

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=9549

I use the fermentation lock as a quick looksee to see how much activity there is as much as anything :roll:

the downside to the FV is with such a small neck....... when I was fitting the tap and cleaning I could hardly get to the bottom of the vessel, kept getting my forearm stuck :roll: :lol:

I always use a fermentation lock on mine ... better safe than sorry. Also I don't have to keep a check on it to see when the fermentation has finished ... I can just come back to it in a week.

Having said that, I've had to take them off of my BB/SB brew as the locks blocked up and the lids blew off! :shock:

My fermentations are conducted in a 50l stainless steel stock pot with the lid rested on top to keep out dust and creepy crawlies only. I also leave it for 10 days before fining and kegging. Airlocks are not essential ;-)

Baz Chaz said:
I use the fermentation lock as a quick looksee to see how much activity there is as much as anything
I use mine in a similar way, the bubble rate gives me an indication of fermentation progress.

Latest posts

Back